Chapter 12

“So are you two official yet, Jayd?” Eleanor asks. Me, Liz, Eleanor, and Dani are all in Dani’s car, driving to pick up dessert.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I say, feigning ignorance.

“Yes you do. Are you and Zayn officially together?” Liz asks.

“What a strange question to ask.” I say.

“What an interesting way to avoid a question.” Dani counters.

“Ok, ok. Honestly, I have no idea where we stand right now. Are we just flirty friends? Are we dating? Are we together? We haven’t really had a chance to talk about it.” I explain.

“Well. You two are definitely more than flirty friends, otherwise you wouldn’t be going around kissing one another.” Eleanor says.

“Wait, how’d you know?” I ask her.

“Heard it on the radio.” she and Dani say together, grinning.

“Oh yeah! Forgot about that.” I say.

“Maybe you should make the first move?” Eleanor suggests.

“I did that already when I kissed him in the elevator.” I sigh.

”Maybe you should just smack him in the head and ask him what’s wrong with him.” Liz says as we pull up to a bakery and get out the car.

“Ooh, best idea ever!” Dani says, giving Liz a high five. She locks the car doors and we proceed inside.

*************************

A few hours later, we are all back at Zayn’s place, eating and laughing. I’m sitting in between Zayn and Niall on a couch, enjoying my chow mein. Zayn’s legs are on my lap; the girls keep looking at them, and then grinning at me. I love these people. Liz and I can be a little anti-social sometimes, but not in a snobby or arrogant way. We just get shy and spend more time together than with others. But these laidback, easygoing, humorous people with us keep everything entertaining and comfortable.

“Jayd, are you here?” Zayn asks me, waving his hand in front of my face. I realize everyone else was staring at me, so I was probably asked a question or something. Or I just went into zombie trance mode again.

“Yes Zayn, I’m really here. So you can now stop daydreaming about me. ” I reply.

“How’d you know?!” Zayn scoffs, causing everyone to laugh.

“Easy. Women are mind readers. Haven’t you noticed?” I tease.

“There are a lot of things I’ve noticed about you.” Zayn smirks. “Like that blush that’s creeping up on your cheeks.” he says, rubbing one finger against my right cheek.

“So Jayd? Should the rest of us leave? Because you’ve got that look in your eyes.” Liz teases.

“Hey Liz? Wasn’t there something you were going to ask Niall?” I tease back.

“No!” she says a little too loudly. Now she’s twice as red as I am. I look over at Dani and Eleanor and see that they’ve caught on. We grin at each other, while the guys look at us, confused.

“Sure you do, Liz. She doesn’t believe that you’ve dyed your hair since you were twelve.” I say, watching Liz relax. As if I was really going to bust her out for crushing on Niall.

“Oh, yeah, I have.” Niall says, smiling at her.

“Oh, ok.” Liz says, still blushing. She glares at me.

“What? You wanted to know, so I asked for you!” I say, winking at her. I look over at Zayn, and there’s a puzzled look on his face. I lean in towards his ear.