Chapter 13

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow! It means the world. 

The next day, the cool late fall weather greets me as I make my way with Lizzy to the bustling town square. The leaves are a burnt orange color and my cheeks sting slightly with the cold air moving around us. We could have taken a carriage like normal people but we decided on enjoying the last of the fall weather before winter dominates for months to come.  

(The aesthetic for the 'town')

"I really needed new clothes, look at what I am wearing!" I point down at my mismatched outfit made up of old clothes lended to me until I got paid.

"You could have borrowed some of mine, I think we are the same size actually." Lizzy kicks some leaves around the sidewalk. Shes totally right, she has more than enough clothes since her mom is a seamstress but I have trouble asking for help or favors.

"I survived, atleast Im not naked," I joke around. I really am glad the other maids were kind enough to loan me some clothes, I will have to find an adequate way to thank them later on. After a half hour walk we finally reach the town square from the town nearest to the palace. Zemira may be a kingdom but is actually the size of a nation.

"Where do you recommend we go?" I turn to look at Lizzy in her black knee length coat and black gloves. She is definitely much more warm than I am at the moment. I am wearing a simple zip up cotton sweatshirt that is doing little to nothing for me in this weather.

"Say less." Lizzy grabs me by the arm and leads me to the corner of the main square. There is a little clothing boutique that has some clothes in the display window that look like they might be up my alley. I wonder how much I will be able to afford, my meals and housing is paid for already by the palace. But I want to have some spare money saved up in case anything pops up later.

We walk into the boutique and the walls are all a light cream and pastel pink color. The store itself is a very femininely decorated but the clothes range in all types of styles. I start off by heading towards the undergarments section first, eager to have properly fitting bras again.

"Oohh get this one Cartia!" Lizzy holds up a bra in my size with the highest level of push up on it. I give her a horrified look of embarrassment knowing the shop owner is watching us.

"No thank you," I tell Lizzy with bright red cheeks while she cannot seem to stop laughing. Her face is pink because of the lack of air and she's bent over slapping her knees in hysterical laughter.

I grab some bras and panties and head towards the shirts and casual wear section. I pick out simple tops, most of them long sleeves preparing for the cold. I grab more sweaters and one thick black winter coat. I grab sweatpants, leggings, jeans, pajamas, and some pairs of shoes.

Lizzy has to help me carry my stuff to the cashier since I cant even look where I am headed. She checks out all my items and puts them in bags neatly folded. I had to get so much stuff since I was starting from the beginning. Once I saw I had more than enough leftover money I headed to the perfume shop with Lizzy.

"What perfume scent do you think I would be?" I ask Lizzy as I scan the aisles of perfume bottles. Some are simple and others are much more extravagant.

"You would definitely be a vanilla perfume with a hint of berries," Lizzy replies as she holds up a red bottle to her nose. I look around the store and walk over to an employee.

"Excuse me sir, do you know of any vanilla perfumes with a hint of berries?" I ask him politely. He nods and starts walking towards a glass display of perfumes.

"I think you would enjoy this one very much," he lifts up a clear bottle to me. I grab it gently and spray it once on my wrist. The smooth creamy vanilla smell is perfectly interlaced with the berries in the back. I smile at Lizzy and nod my head to the man.

"It's perfect. I am taking it," after we check out of that store as well, I am physically exhausted.

"What time is it?" I ask Lizzy as we wait for a carriage to take us to the palace. We are not crazy enough to walk back to the castle with all these heavy bags.

"Its five o'clock, we will probably make it back to the palace around six and the ball starts at seven!" Lizzy says the last part quiet enough for only us to hear. The square is pretty full so it wouldnt be too hard for others to hear our conversation if they got too close. I turn to look at her and raise my brow in a questioning manner.

"You are not implying we go to another ball?" I whisper to her. Lizzy nods her head at me excitedly.

"Like you said, the Royal Family has something to do with your missing parents. The only way we can disguise ourselves and be among them is during these balls," Lizzy states. I think about and her answer does seem to be logical. I nod my slowly in agreement.

"Okay, Im in." I say just as our carriage pulls up to us. The driver helps us load all my bags and we start heading towards the palace again. It was nice to get out of the castle for the first time in almost two weeks.

As we pass the outskirts of the town square inside the carriage, a familiar shop catches my eyes. It is the small book shop I went into when I barely got here. I feel nostalgic that the day I arrived here feels so long ago. I need to find my parents because I somehow feel like time is running out.

Authors Note:

Life is stressful. I want to thank those who keep me accountable and remind me to not abandon this project.

xoxo Ellie Violet