Chapter 16

You don't think you've ever felt so nervous in all your damn life. Sure your heart's beating wildly, your palms are sweating and your limbs feel heavy but there's something else lingering in amongst everything. You think it's excitement. You stand for a minute once you enter the familiar building just to catch your breath because you were walking so fast down the street. God, you didn't even explain to Dinah where you were going, what if you die? What if Lauren actually kills you? You should have at least left Dinah with a final message, something like you've always appreciated her and to tell your parents you hate them.

You shake your head and walk to the elevator, it's after work hours so the lights are low and the receptionist that is usually on the ground level isn't here. You fumble with your hands and shift impatiently on your feet waiting for the elevator. Once it arrives you get in and your stomach sinks as it starts to move upwards.

You've been here many times before, you're always nervous going to Room 47 although usually it's because Lauren picks at your brain and drags your very soul out for you to look at, hell maybe she'll still do that tonight.

The familiar noise of the elevator doors opening awakens you from your thoughts and you walk down to where Ally's normally stationed at her desk. Tonight though it's empty and the place is almost in complete darkness.

Your insides are all over the place as you make your way down the corridor to Room 47, you feel your heart in your throat and the nerves under your skin buzzing. All you can hear is the beat of your heart and the thudding of your shoes against the carpet. The slightest things are unnerving you.

You give a long exhale as your clammy hand rests on the door handle to Room 47. You chew the inside of your cheek in trepidation and force yourself to enter.

It looks different at this time because it's mostly dark out and the curtains are drawn. There's only a stand lamp casting a warm but dull glow over the room. You shut the door behind you and look at the girl behind the desk at the far end of the room.

Lauren's sitting behind the desk, shoes on the floor, feet on the table laying back casually on her swivel chair with paperwork on her lap. She looks a little startled by your arrival. You feel really warm and you swallow your nerves as you arrive at the other side of her desk. Her dark eyebrows are raised like she's surprised to see you and a smirk is tugging her lips like she's pleased to see you. She doesn't say anything though; she just chews her pen by the lid of it, twirling it around in her mouth. Her other hand has went from resting on her paper work to running up the back of the straps of her suspenders.

You clear your throat awkwardly.

You have no idea why she isn't speaking.

"Uh...I'm here" you say shakily and your voice is low and quiet.

Lauren's green eyes consider you for a moment until the pen leaves her mouth with a pop and she places it on the desk.

"Yes, you are" she says, the smirk on her lips growing wider.

You're positively sweating now and you're so damn nervous, you just want her to do something; you can't stand this tension anymore.

Seemingly sensing your anticipation Lauren puts her paperwork on the desk and slowly rises out of her chair. Your whole body stiffens because she walks around the desk and is coming right at you. Oh god. She stops at your side and leans back against the desk looking at you with a calm smile. The sides of her shorts are grazing your thigh and even the slightest contact causes you to go crazy.

Her lack of words is unsettling you.

Why is she so quiet?

You watch as she slowly clasps her soft hand around your wrist and raises your right hand to just in front of her chest. You watch dumbly, your skin tingling as she turns your hand so your palm is facing upward and with her other hand she slowly starts to trace the lines on your palm with the pad of her delicate index finger.