14 | QUATTOR

"How did you guys even find this place?" I ask them, getting out of the car after Jordan. We wait as the drop top slowly lifts and closes.

"Why? Never been to one?" Nathan asks me.

"I have. I was asking about you guys." I roll my eyes at the way Nathan asked me with a tone that said wow, she's boring.

I have been to one many times. But I never expect a bunch of rich boys knowing about a carnival that never posted a single flyer that said they were at the abandoned pier at the south side.

It was a local thing around here, like some waterfall hidden in a town's forest.

Jordan steps down the yellow parking tile. "I think she saying.. Usually, carnivals are the playground of people who weren't like us. People who spend a quarter of their earnings on rickety rides and half-assed ice cream cones." He said, clicking his tongue. He stood behind the entrance, behind the view of the ferris wheel and bright lights.

"That's rude."

"Yeah well that's what you thought didn't you?"

"Ryder has some friends. He's cool like that." Jordan winked at me, obviously playing around.

"Bragging about having friends in the south side? That's backwards." I comment.

"Uh no," Jordan turns back to me for a split second.

"They own the carnival."

We enter the carnival, at 1AM midnight, it was surprisingly still so lively. The banner hang ups, there were multiple booths to choose from and giant stuffed gorillas hang from wire nets in display. Every time I took a step the floorboards creek. "An abandoned pier couldn't be safe could it?" I look at the floor, I imagine I fell and taken away by vicious black waves and dragged underneath currents.

I shiver, trying to nudge that idea out of me. Oh God what if I manifest it?

"Probably not. But Jordan's gonna be the first to fall through from how fat he is." Nathan calls over the crowd. I realize that I was a few feet behind them and I quickly dodge the crowd to slow down next to Ryder and the whole group.

The flats actually felt pretty nice, it gave me some flexibility on my footing and the way Bennett did my lacing felt like there was none at all.

"Jordan wouldn't even fall through. He'll just get stuck on the way down." Ryder jabbed casually.

Jordan rolls his eyes at Ryder, "Says the one who looks like his mother barely fed him as a kid."

"What are you attacking me for? Nathan started it!" Ryder defended.

"Kids." I mutter below my breath, although a small smile on my face as I remain silent.

I don't know why jokes about their appearances are passed among them, their fat is not fat and their skinny is not skinny. They are all quite literally the definition of good looking.

"Oh! Look what I'm getting." Jordan grins, eyeing the burrito stand that stood next to a game of Catch The Duck.

"We haven't even ridden yet! You're gonna vomit." Jordan stood in line while Nathan yapped about he's gonna have Jordan far far away from his seat in the rollercoasters and the flying saucer, Bennett agreeing.

I take the time standing quietly to the side to get the full view of the Carnival.

Cotton candy, ferris wheels, the faint smell of salt water, bright lights, loud screams traveling in the loops of rollercoaster.