9 | NOVEM

WE NEED TO BE BORED TO BE EXCITED AGAIN. I learned in 5th grade that everything was chemical, and I learned that it was Dopamine that drove me whole. In 8th grade, I hid a bar of chocolate every single day and I would eat it as I go to school. It excited me because I was never allowed it, yet after the first month I've grown dull and tired of the chocolate and I would never feel the specialty of it anymore after that. Dopamine encouraged me to feel the high, yet too much Dopamine can make me used to the high, that is when humans get the tolerance for it.

I had been so happy to receive my first ever phone because all of my friends had it, and if they did then it should be the most exciting thing in the world. Until I gotten used to it, now it was like that chocolate, dull and boring.

"No phones, no laptops, no bringing of video games or PCs, no iPads, no flip phones, no smart watches, no pagers," Mr. Clint notes every single device we had, he was running out of breath, listing everything on a tablet that copies it to our whiteboard.

Maybe it was right that he didn't allow us to have our phones. We need to be bored to feel excitement again.

"And especially no music." He stops next to a student who was bobbing his head mindlessly as he wrote on his notebook. His hand reaches his ear and he flicks the boy's Airpod off. It falls to the ground. "Pick that up and throw it away. I'm sure your parents won't mind."

Mr. Clint didn't come from a wealthy family. Cause if he did he wouldn't be teaching in a school full of rich snobs. If I was him I would be aggressive too. But that's a little too hypocritical of me, because I am well aware I am a rich snob. Maybe the worst of them all.

"Damn, chill." The boy replies, picking his Airpod up.

"Mr. Clint?" A student questions, I turn in direction of the voice and found Nathan Miller raising his hand.

Nathan was, in fact, in all of my classes. How did I never notice that? It wasn't as if I lived in my thoughts all day long, but he just seemed to appear out of thin air in the moments where I thought hope was diminishing and it made me suspicious.

"What, Miller?" Mr. Clint asks, his voice was rough. Like wood drenched in beer and smoked in a chamber filled with cigarettes.

"Can I bring my phone? My parents are gonna be worried that I'm stuck in a forest with no bodyguard whatsoever." Nathan reasons, with the way Nathan had a smug smirk on his face indicated he was playing with Mr. Clint, with a hint of truth in it.

The teacher sighs, "We bring our own bodyguards. And let's face it, Miller. Your father doesn't care about you." He remarked smoothly, Nathan only pursed his lips and nodded his head at the few students who looked at him as if to agree with Mr. Clint himself.

"Right." He says with a clap as he steps on the platform. "For the whole day tomorrow, you and the entire senior batch are gonna take a trip to the Westside Mulberry Forest for our 111th Founder's Day."

The whole Westside forest that occupied most of our region was owned by Edwin Venisde himself. The German founder of Venisde Academy.

Tomorrow marks the 111th Anniversary of the grand opening of the school, but we were mostly celebrating the day he won a war against the Britain Army as the Commander.

If not for him, this school would never exist. And this soil would be part of another country.

And if I weren't in Venisde right now, I would've never met Ryder freaking Peterson.

Why did Noah chose him? Out of all the people in this entire school?

Hell, he could've chosen Bennett. And I would still have higher chances of having Bennett fall in love with me than him.