Without You There (Part 2)

Song: Troubled Mind by Cannibal Kids

Kai awoke with a start—tears fresh in his eyes though he knew not why. He could never remember his dreams, but from the state of his mind he knew that they must have been of Cinder.

Where are you now? Kai thought, his heart aching as he tore himself from bed. His bare feet were cold as they touched the carpeted floor; he was grateful that they were not marble like the floors at Artemisia Palace.

But oh, how he would have been there in a moment if Cinder wanted him to be. He would go all kinds of places just to be with her again.

He wandered to his bathroom and splashed water upon his face, clearing the red from his eyes. He toweled off his cheeks and stared at himself in the mirror, placing his hands down upon the counter so he could lean in and look upon his countenance further.

"Somehow," Kai whispered, wishing that she could hear him all the way from the moon. "Without you there..."

He closed his eyes as they began to sting. He couldn't think without her there. Kai didn't want to be there alone— he couldn't sleep without her beside him. He couldn't function properly without her.

"Weren't we supposed to make it?" He asked himself, squeezing tears from his eyes and letting them fall into the sink below. "Weren't we supposed to make it?"