Apocalypse (Part 4)

Song: I Saw You in a Dream by The Japanese House

"Kai," Cinder rasped. Her hand brushed stray strands of hair from his face. She'd been watching his features as his eyes closed and he fell into a world that she knew she would soon follow him into. Her fingers had remained upon him, trying to soothe him.

Her breath hitched as she touched his mouth and felt no warm breath. She let out a soft gasp that was more of a dry sob than anything else. She whispered his name again, allowing her voice to go as loud as if possibly could. He didn't respond.

"Kai, no," Cinder hissed, her whole body trembling as her fingers traced down to his chest to feel his heartbeat. "No no no," she cried, her cold fingers feeling nothing but the cold of the night.

She collapsed upon him, her head falling upon the crater of his chest as she clutched at him. His arms didn't move to encircle her within them.

"No no no no," Cinder wailed into the night. "No, Kai, you can't just not hear me anymore. You can't forget me," she sobbed, though her eyes were dry of tears. Her body had no more liquid within it left to spare. She knew that she shouldn't even try— that it was just a waste of time, but he was her Kai.

"I saw you in a dream," she cried, trying to sing him a lullaby but the words fell out as a gasp. "You came to me, a sweet apparition— a perfect hallucination."

She pulled herself up so that her head rested in the crook of his neck. She cradled his head with her numb hands, fingers gently stroking his matted hair.

"All good things come to an end, don't they?" She asked, though she knew not whether her voice penetrated the air. "I thought that we might last," she mumbled against the side of his face. But he couldn't hear her anymore— all it was was just a waste of time.