Chapter 2

SONG(s) FOR CHAPTER: 

♬ Once In A Lifetime by One Direction ♬ 

♬ The Fighter by Gym Class Heroes ft. Ryan Tedder ♬  

CHAPTER 2

♕ HARRY STYLES 

        "GOT ANY SEVENS?" 

        "Go fish. Got any queens?"

        "Nope, go fish. Got any twos?"

        "Go fish. Jacks?"

        "Nope. Got any queens?"

        Jacob's jaw dropped, eyes narrowing on me. "You cheater! I already asked you if you had queens and you said no!"

        "I just drew it, I swear!" I held my hands up in defense, stifling a chuckle.

        He groaned, tossing his cards down. "I'm tired of this game. You always find a way to cheat, you sneaky little brat."

        I licked my lips, smirking as I drew all the cards back into a pile, shuffling them while Jacob got up to get a drink. "Well, it was Go Fish or that redundant vampire show you watch."

        He poked his head out from behind the fridge, glaring at me. "It is not redundant. Okay, maybe sometimes, but it's still very intense."

        I shrugged before setting the deck of cards down and glancing at the clock. Nearly three in the afternoon, about time to meet Josh down the street to train for tomorrow night's fight. I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth, standing to shrug on my jacket. My eyes caught on the picture sitting idly on the table by the door. I stared at it only a moment before placing it face down.

        I'm not sure why I did that. I always ended up feeling guilty and setting it upright again. But it was hard to see those chocolate brown eyes and know was the reason I'd never see them again. At least that's what Jacob told me. He said she had told him about the fight and apparently, I was the one who finally called it quits. I didn't remember much from that night, too overwhelmed by the darkening mood that had settled over me.

        I cleared my throat, looking up to see Jacob already looking at me, sympathy glinting across his bright eyes. "I better get going. Don't skip class again."

        He rolled his eyes. "My classes would be like my vampire show through your eyes - redundant," he said. I smiled a little but my eyes drifted back to the face-down photo. Jacob gave a little sigh. "Harry-"

        "I'm good," I told him, grabbing my keys. I stopped with my hand on the knob, my back to him and I didn't dare turn to look him in the eye. I swallowed. "Have you... have you heard from her?" My voice was too quiet, but Jacob still seemed to hear it.

        "Not since she called about her new internship last week," he said in a low tone, matching mine.

        I chewed the inside of my cheek. "Oh" was all I could say. Before Jacob could go on about how it's nearly been two years and I should try to move on, I bid him goodbye and exited the apartment.

        Somehow, Jacob and I were the last left clueless when everyone else went off to college after graduation. I guess finding some place to split the rent seemed the most reasonable, but it was definitely nice to have someone still around. Now he's going to a community college for psychology, his heart set on becoming a therapist for other kids like him who were shunned by their parents.