Some Days They Last Longer Than Others

Author's Note:

Set during GA-S2-E25 "17 Seconds", and canon-divergent from there.

bobbiejelly

Some Days They Last Longer Than Others

Dr. Derek Shepherd : What do you want Addison?

Dr. Addison Shepherd : I want you to care. I sleep with your best friend and you walk away. He comes here from New York and rubs it in your face, and still you get a good night's sleep. What do I have to do? Oh, I know. Maybe I should sleep with the vet, because that's what it seems to take to send you into a blind rage. But wait, that won't work either because I'm not Meredith Grey!

After Addison's outburst, she looks down past the stairwell, horrified to find Meredith Grey's eyes right below her.

Shocked, and hurt, Addison sees Meredith turn away from her, and Addison walks away too, and tries to go on with her day until she is confronted inevitably by Richard Webber.

"I can't compete," Addison sighs, as her boss, and former mentor tries to comfort her.

"Everyone has bad days, Addie. Keep it together," Richard Webber voices something along those lines sternly to Addison Montgomery-Shepherd.

"You have no idea what it's like!" Addison protests.

"I have an idea that's more alike than you might think." Richard rebuttals.

And that's how it begins.

"What? You were the dirty mistress Richard, don't pretend like you weren't. You may know what Meredith is feeling now, but me? You have no clue."

"I have a clue as to what living a woman named Dr. Grey looks like," Richard whispers.

"Whoa, wait what?" Says Addison defensively.

"Look me in the eye, and tell me that that isn't true, huh?"

"What me? And Meredith Grey? Who my husband wants to leave me for how could you possibly suggest that Richard!?"

"Addison, I've known you practically since you met Derek and started dating him. I was there when you got married in grad school. And never have I ever seen you upset over him like this. But the moment that she walks into the picture, you're a mess. And trust me, like you said, I know the feeling."

"Richard..."

"It's alright Addie. I'm not going to tell anyone. Lord knows I'd be the worse kind of hypocrite. But I won't be lying to you either. Not as much as you might have been lying to yourself."

"I'm not- I wasn't..." Addison begins. "Well, maybe a little..." Addison sighs.

"Addison, it's perfectly natural, you know I'm accepting," Richard begins.

"Oh, right. That. You are. My mother isn't. She'll definitely kill me. And my father might flip out at me. And my brother will just think it's awesome," Addison groans.

"Well, you got one out of three on your side already!" Richard chuckles.

"Richard!" Addison groans, but she can't help but start chuckling as well.

"Well, I see you appear to have come to your own conclusion," Richard offers.

"Maybe... but that doesn't mean I know what to do about said conclusion," Addison sighs again.

"Well, what would you want to do, Addison? If you could?" Richard offers hopefully.

"I wish I could... I wish I could have her over. Hold her. Love her. Keep her warm..." Addison says dreamily.