THOMAS

It could have been me. I could have died. How didn't I realize that? How? They were in my room. The pills. How did I not realize that?

Hillary... she died, she's not there, maybe because someone didn't want me to be there... But who? And why?

It was my friends that were there, but they didn't even know me to begin with. How would I even be sure if it was me or Hillary who was supposed to die?

The phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"Mr Richards? This is officer Michael, I wanted to ask you... when was the last time you took the sleeping pills?"

"About a week ago I think... Oh no... Does this mean that anyone who could have come at anytime this week could have- have done it?"

"I'm afraid so... This is going to be a huge increase to the list of suspects. Tell me, Mr Richards, Who all had been to your place last week?

"Not many people actually... we rarely have visitors... Jon uh, Jon freeman from my work had been here on a Wednesday but the whole time we were talking in the front hall, and uh, and then there was Diana"

"And she is?"

"Hillary's friend, we actually met through her... she uh she's a close family friend but closer to um, Hillary... I think that was it..."

"Are you sure? Maybe your wife could have met with someone else that week when you were out or at work"

"Hillary is at work till evening... so unless she stayed home to meet someone I think I'd know"

"Oh okay. Mr Richards... do you happen to hold custody of your wife's phone?"

Her phone! I forgot all about it.

"Um, just a second... I'll get it."

"There is no urgent need, but please do hold on to it and please do not delete anything in it. Any information can be useful"

"Okay."

"Thank you, please mail the address of Ms Diana to me"

"Okay"

"Take care"

I walked over to her room. Even though I hadn't been there since Sunday.

I looked around on the bed, where she usually put it, but it wasn't there. The doctors must have misplaced it. I looked at the dresser. There it was.

I picked it up and stared at it for a moment. I'd never gone through Hillary's phone before. We always respected each other's privacy. I could find anything in here, anything, and that scared me. I considered putting it back for a moment. No. I need to know any information related to her death.

I switched it on.

The lock screen was an image of the evening sky. As soon as I turned it on, I saw a picture of us. She looked beautiful, in her white dress. It was our wedding day. The best day of my whole life. I can't believe I screwed it up. Chats. The most recent one was with Alice, a friend from work she once introduced me to, next there was Diana. I clicked it. There was nothing much of importance in there. The last text said 'lol have fun'

I clicked back.

OH MY GOD. What. NO. oh no. No no no no. This cannot be happening. It cannot be her. Oh noo.

I clicked on the name Eliza.

It showed me their whole conversation.

Hillary: Hi. This is Hillary Richards, this may sound weird to you but I would like to talk to you to clear a few things up.

Eliza: sure

Hillary: Great would you be comfortable to meet me at our place? I'll send you the link to the address

Eliza: ok

Hillary: Thank you. You can come here anytime after 10 am

Eliza: ok

That's it? Why did they meet? What did she need to talk to her about? About what happened?

But whatever the reason was, Eliza was here. In my home. She was now a suspect. Unless..... no I can't do that. They told me not to. But what if it was her? She would be the most likely suspect. But would she go as far as to a crime? She wouldn't... would she? I can't let her get caught. But Hillary didn't deserve to die. No, I will not meddle. I've done enough. I just- just can't believe this. God. Help me.