THOMAS

I hear him leave and walked out. She was standing against the door, tears in her eyes.

"What happened?"

She didn't say anything. What was happening? She was fine till now. What happened all of a sudden?

"Eliza, what happened?"

"I think... It was me."

What?

"You think it was you? What does that mean."

She straightened her shirt and sat down on the couch, sniffling. She was wearing the same shirt she wore when we met. She looked different now. More mature, tired, perhaps. But the thought of that day made me smile. Almost. I looked at her again. She was staring at her lap and watching the tears fall. One by one.

What was going on? What did she mean?

"It was me, Thomas"

"Why didn't you say anything till now?"

"I wasn't sure. I was drunk that day. I didn't remember anything."

I didn't know whether to believe her or not. She was sobbing now. I sat down next to her.

"Why? Why did you do that?"

I had a sudden urge to put my arm around her and tell her to stop crying. I was mad at myself for that. What was she doing to me?

"I-I don't know. I'm such a horrible person. Who would do that to another human? And now if that person identifies me it's all over. Everyone will know it was me. It will all be over."

I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say. I didn't want her to suffer through this. I didn't have Hillary anymore, Eliza seemed afraid of me and everybody already seemed to think it was me. What did I have to lose? My life was already a mess. I lost everyone important to me. I didn't have anyone to do anything for. Except this. I just couldn't let her go.

"But they will drop it if I confess before." It came out as a soft whisper, almost to myself. But she seemed to hear it.

"What?!"

"I'll confess"

"Thomas, no, you can't, it was me. You didn't kill her"

"You didn't mean to either. I created this mess and I will relieve you of it. I need to do this. I'm sorry I lied to you. And I heard you talking to the officer. I loved you too."

I stood up and walked out before she could say anything. 

I needed to confess now. Before they found out anything. I needed to go now.

I drove straight to the station