39

Warning:
Mention rape (Just wanted to warn as it can be a sensitive topic for some).

*

Video

"How did you get the video of Seonghwa and Yeosang?" I asked, folding my arms.

"Hongjoong, I hate to interrupt, but why are you so sure?" Yunho asked. I didn't answer him though. Instead, I kept my eyes focused on Eden, waiting for some sort of explanation.

"I don't really want to admit it... but Jongho... the girl at your house..."

"It can't be..." Jongho looked so upset. He must've trusted her a lot.

"Look, she didn't do it because she wanted to," Eden sighed. "I asked her to get into your home and find something, but... I- I didn't know she would actually find something like that..."

"You didn't know what she would find, but when she showed it to you, you had a choice! And you still sent it to the reporters!?" Seonghwa shouted angrily. "It was none of your business! You had no right to do that!"

"I know..."

"Well, I've had enough of this," Mr. Hwang said, standing up and straightening his blazer. "Since you've finally owned up, you can decide who takes care of the problem. Either you or Hongjoong take the blame, make it look fake and get it off the-"

"Hwang..." Seonghwa said softly, grabbing his father's attention. "Do we really have to deny it?" 

Mr. Hwang looked back at Seonghwa, blinking in confusion. "What are you trying to say?"

"Why can't you just finally embrace it? I've had to live in your shadow for so long. It's not going to destroy your career if you admit it. In fact, it could worsen your career since people will know you lied because there is already things out there."

"You don't understand," Mr. Hwang laughed sadly. "This isn't a matter of my career, it's a matter of my self respect... it's a matter of your future as well."

"If you cared about self respect, you wouldn't have done those things," Eden said, rolling his eyes. "I don't even need to say what it is because you already know."

Mr. Hwang looked at me uncomfortably and for the first time, it's seemed his cold, demanding demeanour faltered for a second. Usually Mr. Hwang always got what he wanted, but this time, nothing seemed to be going his way. Yet... it was as though deep down, he hoped Seonghwa would say it first.

That their relation to each other didn't need to be ignored.

It didn't need to be pushed to the side like it had been for the past 10 years.

As I thought about it more, I realised I couldn't stay mad at Seonghwa. None of this was his fault... none of this was in his control. It still felt like something I had to forgive him for though, even though he did nothing.

"So what are we going to do?" Yunho asked gently.

-

Two days later, last minute preparations were made for a press conference, where we would finally address the recent events publicly. It wasn't long before people began to file in and Mr. Hwang stood in front of the podium. The cameras couldn't catch his tapping foot or his shaking hands as he prepared himself to speak. Seonghwa himself was sat next to me, his hands constantly fidgeting. Things still hadn't really been cleared out between me and Seonghwa since everyone has been a little all over the place. I wanted to hold on to his hands and reassure him. If the circumstances were a little different, I would have.