C H A P T E R 1: signs

"but kie, he doesn't feel the same. i know it! he's a bold person, he would've told me already if he did feel the same way," i say sternly as my leg starts to bounce. i was getting tired of jj not noticing that i want to be more than friends.

well it wasn't that he didn't notice me, the two of us are really close. maybe i just wasn't showing it as much as i think i am, or maybe he's just oblivious.

"yeah right," the curly haired girl says, "have you seen the way he looks at you? he is so into you. he's probably too nervous to ask you. i mean, if i were him, i'd be scared to fuck up a friendship that's gone so well for so long," she smiles. kie's like the sister i never had. she's my best friend, just don't tell the boys i said that.

"hey, ladies," a familiar voice says happily. i look up to see jj coming over to us. kiara smirks at me playfully, and i roll my eyes at her. the blonde sits beside me on the boat, and drapes his arm over my shoulder- this wasn't unusual for him because we have been best friends since forever, and jj is just overall a touchy person. i get butterflies in my stomach.

god, i think, hating that i felt this way about him.  

"something wrong, y/n?" he noticed my head down, i had subconsciously done it as i had scolded myself.

dammit, i think again, now more annoyed with myself that i had done that. honestly what's wrong is the fact i have a huge crush on you.. or at least thinking i do, i thought - wanting to hit myself in the head for admitting my attraction to him.

"nothing, just didn't sleep much last night," i smiled, lying completely.

"awe," he jokes, pretending to be pitiful, "needed me to cuddle you?"

i shove his arm off of my shoulders, and playfully smack his arm with the backside of my hand. he starts laughing at how he 'pissed me off'. kie and i also couldn't help but laugh with him.

finally, john b hops onto the boat.

"what are you weirdos laughing about" my brother says, his keys clanging together as he spun them around his finger.

"just jj being jj," kie says as john b starts up the boat, shaking his head with a grin.

as the engines begin spinning, everyone rocks for a second, as usual. weirdly though, jj holds the small of my back, but quickly removes his hand as he's realized what he's done, though that funny feeling still lingered in my stomach.

— jj's pov:

why did i do that?, i think to myself.

my face goes red, and i can feel it. i hope that didn't make her uncomfortable.

"we're getting pope right?" y/n asks.

john b is too distracted, so i answer her, "yup." and adjusted my hat quickly.

— y/n's pov:

i love when he does that, it's oddly... attractive? i try not to stare at him, but my eyes keep steering in his direction.

instead, i try and focus on kie, "isn't midsommers in a few weeks?"

"yeah, and i would do anything to not go," she scoffed.

"c'mon kie it should be fun! i'm pretty sure heyward will have something to do there, so pope will go, and they're going to need waiters so maybe we can book a gig," i say with my voice full of enthusiasm.

"that's true, get paid and hang with the crew," jj agrees.

he leans closer to me, he does that when he's either about to make a petty, or flirty joke, but what's new. 

"bet you'll look good all dressed up," he whispers while giggling. i feel his hot breath on my neck, and i try not to blush.

"your breath stinks," i whisper back with a laugh, rolling my eyes, continuing my 'we're just best friends, nothing more' act.

we all talk and laugh like we normally would for the rest of the short trip. as we pull up to heyward's dock, we wave to his dad.

we all greet pope and he hops in with ease.

john b speeds off into the marsh, the breeze sending chills all over my body, but it felt good after sitting in the hot sun. suddenly, jj wraps his arm around my shoulder again, but this time it feels a little tighter and closer than normal.

word count: 773
— originally published nov. 20, 2020
— updated oct. 11, 2021