31❄️

Obito's POV

Later that night I watched Valentina sleep.

Memories of keeping a young girl company at night in the Akatsuki came to mind.

Just like it said in one of her diary's entry, she sat up in her bed screaming at the top of her lungs, and clutching her chest.

"Valentina", I placed a hand in her shoulder.

Her eyes met mine and she push my hand off her. "What are you doing here?", she scanned around the room to see who else was inside.

"I need to talk to you", I told her.

"No", she said looking at the door. "You cannot drag me into your game any further. I am afraid of Madara. If he finds out about you and Raye.... he would kill me too just for knowing".

"I won't let him hurt you", I interrupted her. "If he does find out, I'll tell him you didn't know anything. That you've been fool by me".

I lay on her bed and she just stared at the ceiling.
The night was cold. Snowing. Just like the night before she got killed many years ago.

"I've been remembering stuff", I told her.

Silence.

"I remember your daughter."

"You seem to know a lot about me when I hardly know about you", she said.

"Close your eyes", I told her.

"Why should I listen to you?", he asked.

"Because you have nothing to lose. You're planning to die during the war either way. Might as well let me keep you entertained", I told her.

She looked at me shock for a second but quickly changed her expression to an emotionless one.

"This better be entertaining, masked man", she said as she closed her eyes.

I took off my mask and put her hand on my face.

Her hand stayed in place for a few seconds but then began to trace my face. My scars. My eyes. My nose. My lips.

"Open your eyes", I instructed her and she quickly obeyed.

Her eyes staring at mine and then traveling down to my lips.

Despite the darkness, the light from the moon coming from the window allowed her to see my face. Shock with another emotion I couldn't quite read.

"My name is Obito Uchiha. My goal is to go to war with Konoha and put everyone in a genjutsu dream where we can all live in our own ideal world. Our happy ending. I've manipulated many people to achieve this goal ", I confessed to her.

"You manipulated me. You played with my feelings", she mumbled.

"I'm sorry", I looked into her eyes but she looked away.

"Why would you kiss me and tell everyone that we were in love? That you loved me. Why couldn't you be honest?", she asked.

"If I had told you that my goal was to put everyone in an eternal dream you wouldn't have helped me", I told her.

"Well you're right about that. Being in an eternal dream is weird. I won't be of much help. I don't know healing jutsu to heal injuries and I am planning to die during the war", she said.

I felt my stomach turn. The thought of losing Valentina hurt me.
I couldn't possibly be in a eternal genjutsu dream where I'm hokage and Rin is still alive knowing that Valentina would be dead. Gone forever.
Knowing that if I saw Valentina in my dream it would only be an illusion because she would be dead in real life.
Just like Rin. And Minato Sensei. And everyone else who has died because of me.

"Valentina, if we had met in different circumstances I would have fallen in love with you", I heard myself say and she quickly got up not looking at me.

She looked disoriented. Confused. Her hand resting on her head as if she was in great pain. Getting up and pacing around her room.

"Back when we were in the Akatsuki together, I cared for you. A lot. If I had met you in different circumstances. I would have loved you-".

"Leave", she told me.

"Valentina please-".

"I want you to leave me alone! Don't drag me into your mind games or I will tell Madara everything. I have nothing to lose! I am planning to die during the war and I don't mind dying before", she said firmly. Her voice firm but free of any emotion.

I walked towards her room door and looked back at her.

Her eyes looking out the window. Looking at the trees covered in snow. Snowing nonstop just like it did the day she died.

"I'm sorry I lied to you", I apologized hoping she would ask me to stay with her. I didn't want to leave her. Hoping that at least she would turn to look at me.
But she didn't. Neither. She didn't ask me to stay, and she didn't look back at me.
She never looked back at me.

I exit her room and closed the door behind me and heard things being thrown around her room.

Before I could go back inside her room, Madara stopped me.

"What are you doing up-", I couldn't finish my sentence because I felt him pressed something on my chest.

Something that began to burn from the inside.

"What is this?", I asked him.

"A seal in your heart. If you dare to betray me, your heart will explode killing you on the spot",he told me.

"I wasn't planning on betraying you-", I began.

"Then there shouldn't be a problem", he said and walked away.