Anthology | Many Happy Returns 01: Just An Ordinary Morning

A/N: Now it's Loki's turn to share his story. We will have a special guest for this entry!

 We will have a special guest for this entry!

LOKI

SO WHERE DO I START? I have no freaking idea what to write in my entry. All I want is to solve cases, not write about them. But no matter how many times I make that point, Lorelei would not listen to me. She does not care about my opinion. She only cares about getting this unnecessary project done.

If I had known it would come to this situation, I would have used my veto power as club president. I don't know if that's gonna work, but it might be worth a try.

Lorelei may have forgotten the reason why I recruited her in the first place. I solve a case, she writes about it, like the dynamics of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson. End of story. I can't play Holmes and Watson at the same time.

There are so many important things that I'd like to accomplish. This anthology was definitely not at the top of my list. It's not even on my list! I should be finishing my giant jigsaw puzzle right now, but alas. Let me waste my time writing about my reminiscences. I can't say if anything's interested in reading a tale written by me or if anyone can appreciate the way I weave the words.

During our meeting, Lorelei made it very clear that we must only tell stories that are "fun" and "lighthearted." She couldn't have given those words with much more emphasis. No bloody murders. No stomach-turning gore. Which was kinda disappointing. Those were the best!

Thus I had a hard time thinking about a story of mine that met those criteria. Almost every complicated problem is "fun" for me. Others may find a complex puzzle or a baffling riddle troublesome, but certainly not me. As long as they could challenge my mind, they're perfect in my eyes. Fun is, after all, subjective. What's fun for me may not be for the others.

As for the "lighthearted" part, that's where I might have a problem. The word's so specific, I couldn't easily find a way to justify my choice of story. Most of the cases that we solved and I enjoyed fall under the "serious" category. They don't meet the denotative meaning of the word "lighthearted." Even if there are lighthearted cases, they don't interest me at all.

After a few days of thinking so hard about it, I remembered one particular case that meets Lorelei's and the Clarion's standards. It's fun, sort of. It's lighthearted, very much. However, I had some reservations. It's kinda personal to me. Should I share this unforgettable tale with someone who might buy a copy of our anthology?

One thing's for certain: This story is one for the books. Literally and figuratively.

My ringing phone woke me up one Tuesday morning. I groaned as I grabbed my phone and blindly tapping the screen. Receiving a call at around five in the morning was unusual for me. I have no friends who would ring me and I haven't shared my number with any of my classmates.

So who could be disturbing my sleep? I had four names in mind. Let me do a quick process of elimination.

It couldn't be my clubmate. Why? It's still five o'clock and no student rises from bed this early. She must still be sleeping and enjoying her dream... or nightmare.