Anthology | Many Happy Returns 05: Surprise!

LOKI

LOKI

IF THIS was my last day on earth, it wasn't that bad at all. Wasn't it funny? I was gonna die on my birthday. What a cruel joke from fate. At the very least, I felt some thrill before leaving the mortal realm.

My eyes were still closed but I felt everything went black. The lights in the room must have gone off by now.

This was it.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, happy birthday!"

Wait, what?

I opened my eyes and glanced around the room. Was this heaven? Or hell? The room was still dark until something in front lit up. I searched for the source. The light was coming from the projector installed on the ceiling.

"What the hell is this?" My eyes went wide. A candid photo of mine was shown on the screen with the words "Happy Birthday, Loki!"

The door swang open. I couldn't see clearly who entered, but I saw a lit candle on top of a... cake?

"Happy birthday to you!" Rhea started singing along with the students who entered the room. The lights went back. Maggie was the one holding the cake. The students who stood waiting outside before we got in here walked behind her.

"Happy birthday! Happy birthday! Happy birthday, Loki!"

Dumbfounded, I sat in the chair and gawked at the cake that they presented to me. They were singing. They were clapping. My eyes flicked down on the bomb. The display screen only showed "HBD LOKI!"

I twist in my seat to face Rhea whose smile spread across her face. She no longer looked so concerned. Her voice no longer had any hint of worry.

That's when I began to piece together what was going on here.

"Gaano ho ba katagal? Hindi naman ho siguro male-late, 'no?"

"Napansin mo rin ba 'yong mga blangkong papel na pakalat-kalat sa campus?"

"Who in his right mind would cut more than fifty sheets into four pieces and scatter them all over the campus? There certainly must be some sort of message behind this bothersome incident."

When the timer at noon stops counting
Flames would start lighting
And y'all be blowing!

"You set this up?" Those words escaped my lips as my gaze lingered on her. I was still processing everything in my head.

She nodded happily. "I thought of spicing up your birthday celebration kaya nakipagkuntsaba ako kina Maggie at Luthor. I also sought the help of your clients before."

"They wanna thank you for helping them out," Maggie said. "Sana ma-appreciate mo ang effort ni Rhea. Inisa-isa pa talaga niya ang mga client n'yo dati para maging part sila nitong surprise para sa 'yo."