Anthology | Weekend Getaway 01: A Well-Deserved Break

A/N: We're done with Jamie's and Lorelei's entries. Now, our white knight enters the scene!

This is a collaboration between yours truly and SarcasticGrey.

ALISTAIR

PARA SA akin, halos lahat ng cases na sinolve namin bilang QED Club ay worthy na i-share sa mga magbabasa ng aming anthology. While most cases were serious, some were not that heavy and depressing. Readers would surely find those stories enjoyable.

Mahirap mamili lalo na kung maraming pagpipilian. I had to choose which among these tales was the most deserving to be shared to the readers. Lahat kasi'y memorable para sa akin. Ano ba ang dapat na criteria? 'Yong pinakatumatak ba? 'Yong pinaka-kakaibang case na na-encounter namin? 'Yong pinaka-nahirapan ba kaming i-solve?

Matapos kong pag-isipan nang maigi, I came up with a choice. This was one of the memorable moments for me, not just because of the mystery, but because of the circumstances in it: one of the rare occasions where the four of us went on an out of town trip.

It all started when I received a call from my dad. Nagluluto ako ng breakfast sa condo nang sagutin ko ang tawag niya. Since I transferred here in Pampanga, I learned how to cook my own food. I didn't want to depend on fast food deliveries.

"Hello, dad?"

"Hi, Al! How are you doing there?"

"I'm fine." I flipped the omelet on the frying pan. Nakaipit ang phone sa pagitan ng tainga at balikat ko. "Kayo ho, kumusta riyan?"

"I'm preparing for my business trip tomorrow. Speaking of which, I have a favor to ask from you. If you don't mind?"

Pinatay ko ang electric stove at maingat na inilagay sa plato ang omelette. I placed the plate on the table. "Ano ho 'yon?"

"Are you free tomorrow? One of my business partners sent me some tickets to her nature park and resort located at the mountainside in Pampanga, famous for its spring water pools. It's gonna be their twentieth anniversary so they thought of inviting us over."

Tumango-tango ako habang naglalagay ng kanin sa plato. Inilagay ko sa mesa ang aking phone na naka-loudspeaker mode.

"Coincidentally, meron akong naka-schedule na business trip ngayon kaya hindi ako makapupunta doon. I thought I should give you the complimentary tickets so you can go to the resort on my behalf. You can invite your friends to come with you, if you want."

Natigil ako sa pagsubo sabay titig sa aking phone.

"I have four tickets here. Two days and one night accommodation. Kung available kayo at gusto n'yong pumunta, I can send the digital tickets to you via email."

I smiled at the thought of me and my friends enjoying the amenities in the resort. "Sure, dad! Sakto, wala kaming pasok sa Monday dahil holiday. But I have to ask my friends if they're available tomorrow. Biglaan din kasi. Baka may naka-schedule silang lakad bukas at hindi nila ako masamahan."