Chapter 1

"It isn't right, for a girl like you to go all alone to a college that far away," He leaned closer to me from across the table. "Aren't you afraid?"

I rolled my eyes and leaned back in my chair, regretting even acknowledging him in the small café in the first place. Johnny was just the type to give every opinion as if it were his job.

"Not really," I answered, nonchalant. "Besides, I'm an adult. I can do and live where I want."

"But I mean New York City? Come on Y/n, you're not cut out for a big city. Your graduating class was barely three hundred kinds and now you'll be on a campus with more than 40,000?" His eyebrows shot up.

I held my tongue and gave him a look. "I guess we'll see." I bit out.

I huffed at the memory as the last of my boxes were unpacked and my small studio apartment was coming together. I smiled. It looked and felt like me, sure it was a new place, but it was still all of my stuff.

Classes didn't start for a few days, so I had the time to explore the city a bit. Struggling to figure out the subway, I realized that there was a lot of walking involved, silently missing my Harley that was a few hours away, at home, my parent's house.

I was settling in though. I had a few friends, and with any luck, college would be like the duel- enrollment classes that I had back home last year.

I got a call from my dad on my way back to my apartment after dinner one night.

"Hey sweetie, just calling to see how you're doing." His voice chirped, worry mixed in underneath.

"I'm good, just got done with dinner and I'm heading back to the apartment." I paused at the crosswalk, before inevitably jaywalking.

"That's good. What did you have for dinner?"
I smiled and continued to talk to my father, realizing that I had missed my block, and went one

too far. I sighed and crossed the street again, making an oblivious U-turn to anyone watching. "Hey there pretty thing." Some sleaze on the side of the street called. "You lost?"

I didn't even acknowledge him. I just kept walking, making sure of the direction that I was going.

Suddenly, my bag got jerked back away from me. I used the backward momentum to twist and throw a punch at my assailant, the sleaze who had catcalled me. Someone caught my hand and twisted it back, straining my arm in the wrong direction. I cried out in pain as I felt my wrist crack and aimed my knee towards the sleaze's groin, making impact, sending him doubling over before me, his grip on my bag and hand releasing.

"Bitch!" He shouted at me as I ran away, fast and far from him, ducking into an alley, panting.

I looked around in the alley and pulled out my phone to call the cops, at least to escort me home. I didn't feel safe any longer on my own. I hesitated though, as there seemed to be a garage open, and voices coming from inside, as if they were talking about... me?

"She was just attacked; we can let her inside!" One argued in a hushed whisper.

"She's fine! Besides, we can't let an outsider in here! Are you crazy!?" Another voice argued back.

"Hello?" I asked, nearing the voices in the black garage. "Is someone there?" It was a stupid question, and after what just happened, I should have been walking the other way, but I couldn't bring myself to it.

"We help people!" The first voice hissed. "She needs our help!"

"Fine, but you're telling Leo... and Raph." The second voice decided.