20 - A Day w/ Win, A Night w/ Wat

Sarawat's POV

"Congratulations, Mr Guntithanon. With this, Win is officially and legally your son" said the Adoption Officer, handing me a sheet of paper more precious than my life.

My insides, that had been tied in knots for weeks, finally unglued themselves. A bright light seemed to grow within me, warming every nerve and sinew as it spread.

Beside me, Tine stood carrying Win. They both grinned at me and gave me a thumbs-up each.

I looked at my parents and Man. They had been my rocks and my partners in raising Win all through the years. Win was more theirs than mine.

Mom watched us with silent tears flowing down her cheeks and a wide smile on her lips. Dad and Man hugged each other, and their eyes looked suspiciously damp and extra bright.

I wrapped my arms around Tine and Win together. They both giggled and hugged me back, one head and one arm on either side of me.

"We look like a three headed monster, Daddy" laughed Win.

I kissed Win and Tine on their cheeks, and then went to my parents and Man.

"I love you both so much" I said, hugging my parents. Mom sobbed and Dad nodded, holding back his tears.

I held Man for an extra second. "Thank you for being the best bloody friend anyone could ever have."

"Don't go all mushy on me, ewww" said Man, and surreptitiously wiped his tears.

We headed to the Raksapong mansion for lunch.

Win immediately ran and climbed into his favourite spot on Lady Vichitra's lap.

"Greatma, Tine says I'm yours now" he said brightly, hugging her around the neck.

Lady Vichitra kissed him fondly on his forehead. "Indeed you are. Shall we go see the kittens? They've grown bigger since the last time you were here" she said, smiling widely.

I placed my hand on hers and knelt beside her. "I can never thank you enough for what you've done for me" I said, my voice breaking with emotion.

She patted my head. "I did it more for myself than anyone else. I love my Winnie too much. As for you, just give Tine the happiness he deserves."

"I will spend my life doing just that. I didn't think I could ever love someone so much that just his name could make me feel happier" I said, my face lighting up as I spoke about him.

Lady Vichitra looked at me. I was sure I looked like a lovestruck sap.

"You look like a lovestruck sap" she confirmed and then laughed. "Come on Winnie, let's go. Your Daddy is making me miss my youth."

I looked around me and felt like the luckiest man alive.

Tine sat beside Mom on a sofa, his arm around her shoulders, and they were laughing at something Man had just said.

Dad and Chairman Raksapong were deep in discussion in one corner, where the Chairman was showing his collection of single malt whiskeys.

Lady Vichitra was playing with Win, kittens frolicking around them. Win ran behind them, trying his best to catch one.

Everyone I loved was in one place, and life couldn't be better.

*

"Is it time, Daddy?" whispered Win into my ear.

"Yes" I whispered back. I signalled to Man, who nodded in acknowledgement.

Win and I had dressed for the adoption formalization in matching outfits. Dark blue pinstripe suits with white shirts.