the confession

Of course Kenma loved Kuroo. He's loved Kuroo from the day he met him. He adored the way he made stupid jokes, he gapped at the way he laughed during awkward situation. 

To Kenma, everything about Kuroo was perfect. He was ethereal. 

The problem now was that Kenma wanted to confess to Kuroo. He wanted to scream at the top of his lungs. He wanted to pour out every emotion that's been building up for the past 6 years.

He almost did a few times. Almost.

But everytime he came close to saying something, he hesitated. Every time he came close to saying something, he felt an overwhelming fear boil in his stomach, almost as if he was about to vomit. 

"I can't tell him anything, he doesn't feel the same. He'll never feel the same. He's so much better than me. He'll never love me," Kenma thought over and over again.

He knew he was overthinking, but he didn't want to run the risk of ruining his friendship with Kuroo. 

And he never ran the risk for months. He figured it was always going to be this way.

Until he slipped up.

It was after a late practice. The sky was clear and the full moon shined brighter than ever. Kenma looked up at Kuroo and noticed how perfect he looked under the moonlight. His features glowed and for a moment, it felt like everything, even the stars, were fixated on Kuroo's beauty. 

Kenma stopped in the middle of the street and watched Kuroo turn around to look at him. Kenma felt his breath hitch. He took a long look at every detail of his face. The way he slightly cocked his head at Kenma's sudden stop, the way his eyes squinted from confusion. The way he wrinkled his nose. 

That's the moment when Kenma couldn't keep it in anymore.

"I love you," Kenma said suddenly, as if his mouth had a mind of its own. Kuroo's eyes widened at Kenma sudden remark, and Kenma was sure that he just fucked everything up.

"Sorry, Kuroo, I didn't mean to say that. I'm-"

Kenma's babbling was cut off by the feeling of someone's lips connecting with his own. 

He looked up and saw Kuroo's shut eyelids, seeming to be only focused on kissing Kenma. Kenma was worried this was a dream, that he would wake up and none of it would be real.

But when the wind picked up and Kenma felt the chill down his spine, he knew that it wasn't real.

He melted into the kiss almost immediately after that, making sure to absorb every moment of it as if it was never going to happen again. Kenma was sad when Kuroo broke the kiss, longing to feel his soft lips again. 

"Kenma, I've loved you since the day I met you," Kuroo laughed. "I figured you didn't feel the same. You were always paying attention to your game or something..."

"Kuroo, I've loved you for years, I think. I only realized it a couple months ago but I think I've loved you since the day I met you and I was just too scared to admit it," Kenma spoke. 

There was a moment of silence afterwards that worried Kenma. Did he say too much? Did he freak Kuroo out? 

Kuroo simply laughed at the obvious awkwardness between them, which made Kenma panic even more. 

"Kenma, I want you to be my boyfriend. Maybe not just my boyfriend, maybe you'll be my husband, the person I grow old with. For fuck's sake, Kenma, I think you're my soulmate. I know you don't believe in that stuff but-"

"I do now," Kenma interrupted.

Kuroo gapped at his statement. 

"I think you're my soulmate too, Kuroo. I didn't believe in it before because I never really felt it. And then I met you and things felt...different? I don't know. But I love you, and I think you're my soulmate. You're the reason I even believe in soulmates, Kuroo."

And with that, Kuroo and Kenma were kissing again, more passionately than ever.