the picture

He saw it on Instagram, a girl he didn't know. She was stunning, flawless, even. 

Kenma probably wouldn't have paid much attention if he hadn't noticed that her profile picture was a picture of her and Kuroo kissing.

Of course Kenma should have seen it coming. He didn't know why he didn't see it coming, there were millions of signs right in front of him.

But he still didn't want to believe it. It was Kuroo, he would never cheat. 

Logically, Kenma knew that what he was telling himself was ridiculous. He knew he should face reality and he should talk to Kuroo. But there was a part of him that was still hopeful. A part of him that prayed to the gods, the universe, the sun and the moon and the stars. 

There was a part of him that wanted Kuroo to still love him like he did months ago. 

When Kuroo finally decided that he was going to call Kenma, Kenma knew it was the time to confront him.

The call started off as usual: Kuroo talking about classes, Kenma making quiet humming noises every so often to show that he was listening. It wasn't until the long pause that Kenma believed it was the chance to talk to him about what was wrong. 

"Hey, Kuroo, can I ask you something?" Kenma said, almost inaudibly. 

Kuroo sighed, almost as if he was anticipating this moment.

"Sure, Kenma, what is it?"

Kenma hesitated for a brief moment, debating if he should ask the question he so desperately needed an answer to. He was terrified beyond imagination. 

He took in a sharp breath. "Are you cheating on me?"

Kuroo's breath hitched, even though he expected the question, it was still a shock to hear him say it. For what felt like forever, Kuroo didn't respond. The silence was heavy, tense, terrifying. Kuroo considered hanging up right then and never talking to Kenma again. 

But Kuroo knew that Kenma needed this question to be answered.

"Kitten...I'm sorry...I just-"

"You just what? Was I not good enough?" Kenma snapped, anger rushing thorugh his veins. "What the fuck, Kuoo?"

"Kitten-"

"Don't call me that."

"Kenma...I just...I think I just fell out of love with you, and I fell in love with her. It was so hard being away from you, and she comforted me, and cared for me. I loved you so much, truly, but I think now...she's the only one for me."

Kenma's hands were shaking, he felt tears burning his eyes, begging to fall; but he didn't let them. Even through all the pain Kuroo put him through, he didn't want Kuroo to feel bad.

"B-but what about our promise, Kuroo..."

"Some promises are meant to be broken, Kenma. I'm sorry."

And with that, the call ended. 

Kenma sat there for a few moments after the call ended, not moving or even breathing. 

Then suddenly, impulsively, he threw his phone against the wall, watching it shatter into a million pieces.