VIII. Apples to oranges

viridity: (n.) naive innocence

Oliver's POV

I was on my way to Oryn to discuss business when someone ran into me, swaying my balance a little. I had chosen to go by foot today and was regretting that choice now.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Oli?" She asked a little disbelieving. I looked down to see that it was Alivia.

She looked tired and upset and tears were rimmed around her eyes. I knew that Carter had something to do with this. He always does.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I wanted to know so that I could confront Carter about it.

"Nothing, it's fine. I have to go back to Evander sorry" she spoke in a rush as she speed-walked past me.

Yeah, I was definitely going to have a talk to Carter about this.

I didn't even need the servants to guide me to his room, I just walked on past and thew his door without knocking.

"What the hell do you want," Carter said while bringing a glass of dark amber liquid to his lips. I wanted to punch his face in.

"I want to know why Alivia was running out of the castle gates crying, I want to know why you are such an asshole to her and to everybody in the nation," I said while walking further into the room.

"It's none of your concern, now if you don't mind I wish to be alone right now," Carter said taking while another swig.

"What did you say to her," I asked again with a little more force behind my words.

"What? Did you come here to defend her honor? He laughed.

"Just wait till your father hears about this," I say while walking towards the door. Suddenly a loud sound rang through my ears. I turned to see what was going on.

Carter had thrown his liquor glass at the wall and the smell was becoming stronger as he stalked towards me.

"What kind of dark and twisted 'joke' was that, do you really think that you can stand in front of me, in my kingdom, and disrespect my father a day after his death just because I upset a girl who's not even remotely interested in you?" Carter yelled.

I don't know if my face showed the shock but I definitely was.

"Your..your father's dead..?" was all I could say.

"Get. Out." Carter said. "And on your way tell the maids to bring me more whiskey."

With that, he pushed me out the door and slammed it.

Well, that was certainly a weird turn of events.

△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽