IX. Once in a blue moon

orphic: (adj.) beyond ordinary understanding

Alivia's POV

This was the second time I had been called to the throne room. I was starting to think that nothing good came out of being here.

I was about to pull the handle to open the doors when I saw carter walk up behind me. He had an annoyed expression on his face. But when did he not?

"Oh, they called you to the meeting too? I suppose it's about the marriage," I said to him. He scoffed and lightly pushed me out of the way so that he could gain access to the doors.

We both walked in and my mother and father cleared their throats.

"Good morning children, I know you are probably wondering why you're here." My mother started to say.

"You could say that," Carter muttered under his breath as thew me a glare.

"We both know, well we all know that the two of you don't like each other so we agreed on a little bonding evening for the both of you. You're going horseback riding together." My mother said cheerfully. She was always too kind to people who didn't deserve it.

"No." Carter said calmly. "I mean, I just don't have the time." He said.
It seems the only time he fixes his attitude is in front of adults. Figures.

"You'll make time dear." My mother said, and then they both left me and Carter standing alone in the empty room.

Carter angrily grunted and made his way to the exit, I followed him. I assumed he was headed towards the stables but instead he went in the complete opposite direction.

"Where are you going?" I asked quickly while still trying to keep up with his long strides.

"Nowhere with you so stop following me." He said sounding irritated.

"We have to go horseback riding, My parents demanded it," I said as he stopped walking. I knew if we didn't go my parents would have a screaming match.

"God, you never shut up. Fine, let's go, make this quick. I have things to do." He said while walking to the stables.

"Like what? Get drunk." I said jokingly. He turned around and glared at me. "Sorry.." I murmured quickly. He could actually get quite scary at times.

Carter got onto his horse then just stared at me as I got the saddle for mine.

"What are you doing?" Carter asked.

"Getting a saddle for my horse, what does it look like?" I said in an obvious tone.

"No, get on the back of mine. I don't feel like having to keep track of you." He said.

"Seriously?" I started to protest but he just glared. I reluctantly got on the back of the horse.

"Don't get too comfortable, I know it might be hard." Carter jokes. That might have been the most easy-going I had ever seen him.

"Just go, let's get this over with," I say as he finally pushes himself on the horse as well.

This is going to be a long day.

△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽ △▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△▽△