Lani Ka'ahumanu and Bisexuality/Pansexuality

Lani Ka’ahumanu and Bisexuality/Pansexuality.

https://www.lanikaahumanu.com/OUT%20OUTRAGED.pdf 
(

^Link doesn't work sadly, I tried^)

Bi Any Other Name 

"Bisexual attraction is narrowed to 'men and women' while pansexual "opens the possibilities for attraction to more than two genders." These definitions arbitrarily define bisexuality in a binary way and then present pansexual as a non-binary alternative. This opens the dorrway to a judgement that pansexual identity is superior to bisexual identity because it "open posibilities" and is a "more fluid and much broader form of sexual orientation". This judgement conclusion is unacceptable and dangerous as it lends itself to perpetuating bisexual erasure. The actual lived non-binary history of the bisexual community and movement and the inclusive culture and community spirit of bisexuals are eradicated when a binary interpretation of our name for ourselves is arbitrarily assumed."

Some Quotes.. 

“Being bisexual does not mean they have sexual relations with both sexes but that they are capable of meaningful and intimate involvement with a person regardless of gender.” — Janet Bode, “The Pressure Cooker,” View From Another Closet (1976)

“Margaret Mead in her Redbook magazine column wrote an article titled ‘Bisexuality: What’s It All About?’ in which she cited examples of bisexuality from the distant past as well as recent times, commenting that writers, artists, and musicians especially ‘cultivated bisexuality out of a delight with personality, regardless of race or class or sex.’” — Janet Bode, “From Myth to Maturation,” View From Another Closet: Exploring Bisexuality in Women (1976)

“[John] reacted emotionally to both sexes with equal intensity. ‘I love people, regardless of their gender,’ he told me.” — Charlotte Wolff, “Early Influences,” Bisexuality, a Study (1979)

“In the midst of whatever hardships we [bisexuals] had encountered, this day we worked with each other to preserve our gift of loving people for who they are regardless of gender.” — Elissa M., “Bi Conference,” Bi Women (1985)

“I believe that people fall in love with individuals, not with a sex… I believe most of us will end up acknowledging that we love certain people or, perhaps, certain kinds of people, and that gender need not be a significant category, though for some of us it may be.” — Ruth Hubbard, “There Is No ‘Natural’ Human Sexuality, Bi Women (1986)

“I am bisexual because I am drawn to particular people regardless of gender. It doesn’t make me wishy-washy, confused, untrustworthy, or more sexually liberated. It makes me a bisexual.” — Lani Ka’ahumanu, “The Bisexual Community: Are We Visible Yet?” (1987)