Chapter 6

Xaelle Miller
Atlanta, GA
Friday, December 20
10:30 AM

Today marks my 21st birthday. Another year I'm grateful that I gained. I woke up and opened my eyes to check the time, but I saw my dad and sisters standing in the room looking at me.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I looked around seeing gift bags and boxes along with balloons.

"How did y'all know?"

"It's our job to know, but I can't believe you tried to keep your birthday from us." Zaidee said.

"I'm sorry, I didn't purposely keep it from y'all it just slipped my mind. I never go all out. I usually just acknowledge the added year."

"Aht that changes today." daddy waved me off, "Now get out of the damn bed, your sisters got some stuff planned for you today."

With that they all walked out. I stretched getting out of bed and walking into my bathroom. I took my shower and did my hygiene then got dressed in a basic outfit. I threw my curls in a bun and did my edges.

I walked out my room grabbing my things and walking downstairs. Both Maisyn and Zaidee sat in the living room and got up once I walked in.

"Let's go y'all." Maisyn said grabbing her keys.

We all got into her car and took off.

"Where we goin'?" I asked clueless to what was going on.

"You'll see. We got all types of surprises for you today."

I smiled a little bit excited for what we were about to do. A little while later we pulled up in front of a salon. I recognized it as their salon.

"Y'all have some clients today?" I asked.

"No we about to glam you up pooh." Maisyn said.

"Uh I don't know I've never done that before."

"Relax Xae let's have fun."

I nodded getting out the car. We walked inside and they both went there separate ways.

"Ok Xaelle which first, nails or hair?"

"Nails."

"Ok come sit in my chair." Maisyn said.

I walked towards her and sat in the chair.

ꕤꕤꕤ

Hours later everything was almost done.

I had yet to see what I looked like, but I was excited. Although I was unsure of the hair and nails at first I'm glad it was done. The entire time we listened to music while talking and laughing. I felt the true bond between us.

This birthday was more than growing and gaining a year. I was truly happy with where I was.

"Ok and done."

Zaidee spun my chair around and I finally saw myself in the mirror.

Instead of my natural curls, my hair was straight and flowing down my back. I ran my fingers through my hair loving how long and flowy it was.

"Okayyyy." my sisters dragged and hyped me up.

I hid my face behind my hands trying to hide the blush on my face.

"Xaelle stop hiding you're beautiful."

"Thank you just no ones ever hyped me up like that before."