Chapter 10

Mal's birthday seemed like any other day but then his siblings gathered together for ice cream. He opened his presents from them and tried to smile.

Then Marcy gave him his present from her.

It was reminiscent of the first Mother's Day gift he'd gotten her. A book. Whereas he'd written hers about how amazing she was, she wrote his about how amazing he was, especially as a dad. And on the last page was a sonogram, declaring him a father of three.

He didn't know how to react at first. He was so touched and realized that this was how she was going to tell him; not scream it at him in a fit of rage and pain.

Quinn took the book and said how the baby couldn't be his because it was cute.

That relaxed everyone and they ended up having an enjoyable time.

Then they had to get ready for his party.

M-A-P

"Can we talk?" Puck wanted to know.

"Noah, I-" Mercedes was dead tired.

"Please?"

She sighed. "Fine."

He took her by the hand and sat her down in the living room. Anna was there. He sat between them. "I love you. I love you both. We both love you. But if you don't want to be with us,-"

"What?" Mercedes looked at him like he was smoking crack.

"Do you want to break up?" Anna asked cautiously.

"I never said that."

"But you said-" Puck started.

"That I was leaving with or without you. Meaning if you didn't want to leave, we could break up but not that I wanted to."

"So wait." He was dead confused. "You don't want to break up?"

"Noah." She gave him a look.

"I'm just confused!"

"What's so confusing about knowing if you want to stay together or not?"

"No! I'm-! I just-!" He stopped. "Tell us what's going on, Mama."

"I already told you. I'm going to Cali with my siblings. Either you're coming or you're not."

"Fine."

She stood up.

Anna popped up. "Please don't go. I think we have to iron out if we're going."

"Noah said he doesn't like ultimatums. He feels this is one. He's made his choice."

His jaw dropped. That wasn't what he meant! "No!"

"Then what, Noah?! Make up your mind! Are you going or staying?! You know what?! Don't go!"

That hurt all of his feelings.

Anna could tell. "MercyCat, we're not trying to stress you out. We just don't understand where this is coming from."

"Honey, I know you don't understand but I'd do anything for my siblings. We're all we got." Mercedes felt saddened by that.

Both Puck and Anna frowned but only Anna spoke. "What about the rest of your family?"

"I'm sorry if we confuse you. We confuse us, too. But what's not confusing is how I'm going to be there for them whenever they need me. And guess what? Marcy needs me in California."

"You know Marcy's my best friend. I would never cause her harm." Anna was hurt.

"I know, sweetie."