38: Intervening

"Come on half-angel, stay awake!"

I'm sprinting into the room at the sound of Lexie's voice, Derek close on my heels. I choke on my own breath as I take in the scene of the hall, the blue fire in my veins threatening to explode.

The front door is lying open, Raya's limp body is sprawled on the floor only a few feet from it, Lexie's lap being the only thing cushioning her from the floor. Axel and Ty are standing around the pair as Lexie analyses the marks on her body.

There's so many.

Lacerations, cuts, bruises... everywhere I look there's something else. I clasp a hand over my mouth as my stomach lurches. I understand what Derek meant when he said it was bad... but honestly, that was an understatement.

Lexie looks up at me as I enter the space, her eyes dark.

"Is this what half-angels usually do to each other?", she demands, her words sharp, her eyes full of hate.

"I- I don't-

I stop my pathetic attempt at a response and drop to my knees, crawling to where Raya is lying. Her eyes are fluttering open and closed inconsistently and she doesn't even acknowledge my presence as I come into view. Based on Lexie's words there are already a million thoughts running through my head of what could have possibly happened, each of them leading to the same person.

"Can you heal her?", Lexie breaks my train of thought, her eyes burning into mine.

Ty's body tenses at this, his eyes dropping to look at what I'm working with.

He didn't have this many injuries the last time I had to do this... didn't look like he was on the verge of death and even still that took everything out of me.

"Em you've got to do something!", Derek's voice rings out, stepping closer.

"Now hold on a minute-

"Ty she's dying!", Lexie cuts him off. "She has to."

She turns back to me.

"You have to."

"I know!", I can feel my voice breaking. "I just don't know if it will be enough."

I lay my hands across Raya's stomach, halting as she flinches in pain, her eyes opening wide as she cries out.

"Please! I don't know anything!"

Her cries leave all of us staring in horror, answering the question I was afraid to ask.

She was being tortured.

"Ray I'm so sorry-

"Emelia just fucking do it!", Lexie practically screams at me now.

I hold back any tears that were about to fall and place my hands back where they were, trying to ignore the pain in Raya's face as I touch her body. It feels like minutes before the blue sparks finally come and when they do I almost cry out in relief. My mind felt so jumbled with everything that I'd seen, I wasn't even sure if I could focus enough to make then appear-

"She's going to use up all her energy!", I hear Ty shout from behind me.

I ignore it and further will the blue fire to envelop her body, pushing everything that I have until it feels like my brain is on fire.

"Ty, she'll hate you forever if you stop her."

The features on Raya's face finally relax as she stops tensing, a sign of her pain subsiding.

"She's gonna end up killing herself if she gives all her energy away!"

The marks on her body are starting to fade... but so is my vision. My whole body suddenly feels heavy, like I'm being tied down, my legs threatening to give way.