Chapter 21

Patton sat awake that night.

It's not because of the bed or the blankets or even Virgil's family. It's not like they were unwelcoming. They were wonderful.

He just lay on his back, staring at the blank ceiling with a blank mind.

It's not like he didn't want to be here, it's not like he was uncomfortable here, it's not like he's not happy to be here. He just feels...out of place.

I mean, he's never had a proper family. And the only family he's been around was still full of tension. But here...it seems so....care free.

Patton looked to his left at the sleeping Virgil to his side. He'd refused to take off his hoodie and he looked so peaceful as he tucked his legs into his chest. He was so small, so vulnerable. His ginger hair stuck out of the hood quietly as the blanket was thrown off him. The slight whistle of his nose as he quietly snore overwhelmed the room with slight sound, but it was so loud in the silence of the night.

Patton smiled a melancholy smile.

"Patton...?" Janus groaned quietly as he turned over to face Patton, "...awake again...?"

"Yeah....just not tired..."

"You sure...? This isn't like you...." A soft snore emitted from Janus' mouth as his head flop back onto the pillow.

Gently, Patton placed a hands on Janus' head and brushed away a few misplaced hairs on his face.

"It's alright..."

~~~

Rising from the dead, Virgil sat up, stretching out his arms and legs. Looking over to the other two, he rubbed his eyes and was now fully risen.

Scrambling over between the two, he sat down. And began poking Janus' face. Hard.

Janus rolled over emitting a sort of inhuman sound from his mouth as he turned over to the other side, ignoring Virgil completely. To Janus' dismay, Virgil continued to poke him.

".....?" Janus turned over to looked at the person whom was bothering him. His eyes were droopy and barely open and his dark hair was messier than before. "...what...?" He mumbled.

And with the finally poke - that might have dented Janus' skin - he sat up.

"....Why...?"

"Why not?" Virgil replied, looking back at Patton.

"We should leave him be for a bit..." Janus told Virgil, placing a hand on his shoulder to cease all actions.

Nodding, not understanding what Janus meant, "Okay,"

Virgil drapped a blanket upon Patton, tucking him in gently before he left with Janus to go get something to drink. Inaudibly, the two decided not to start eating without Patton.

~~~

Patton woke up alone again.

End Of Chapter. 439 Words