Chapter 0 - Part 2: Live as Myself

It's been said that teenagers were rather fearless, that they can take on the world, nothing can stop them. So it's pretty interesting how quick some are to complain.

It was only about ten minutes into the groups' little venture before the griping started.

"Hey, when are we gonna get there? I thought you said this thing was close." Imai whined, feet dragging.

"Come on we haven't been walking for that long besides—" Niwa turned around ominously wiggling his fingers. "—Don't you think these woods are spooky enough."

"Stop that!" Sasaki shouted, slapping the boys' hands away.

A soft rustling came from the bushes to the kids' left. Tamashiro paused quickly turning the noise, his flashlight out, pointed towards a bush.

"Hey, did anyone—"

Another noise sounded from behind and this time everyone heard it.

"W-What was that?" Uno stuttered in fear.

"It was probably just an animal. Since we're in such a metropolitan city the wildlife tends to gather in places like this," Mayeda tried to rationally explain.

Thump. Thump. Crush. Thump.

The rustling got louder, followed by a thumping, along with the crunch of leaves and twigs snapping.

"That sound like something big," Uno said

"Maybe it's a deer or something," Mayeda said

"No way!" Sasaki shook her head. "It's too loud!"

"It's only loud because it's getting closer!" Uno snapped.

"That's not better!" Sasaki snapped back.

Crunch. Thump. Crack. Bang!

The noises got louder signaling that whatever was causing them got closer. In fear the group huddled together in one clump, clinging onto one another. They were so terrified the teens didn't even seem to care that they had included Yuma in their little cluster. She was squashed in the middle, face forcibly pressed against someone's back.

The sound was so loud, deafening to the teens. The animal, creature, whatever it was sounded as if it was right next to them. Frightened eyes zeroed in on the bushes, watching as a shadow crested the treeline. It came as soon as it appeared, and it went quiet. Eerily so. There was not a single sound. No bugs chippering not even the sound of the wind rustling the foliage could be heard.

All that could be heard was the sound of the heavy frightful breathing of the teens. The teens seemed to settle a bit, dispersing from their little clump. Yuma stumbled away, pushed away rather roughly from the others.

"Is-Is it gone?" Sasaki asked, lips quivering.

She was clutching onto Imai, the girl returning the sentiment. They clung onto one another, hands digging into each other's arms.

Niwa stood up straighter taking a step towards the bushes. He did his best to conceal his fear but was betrayed by his own unsteady legs that shook.

"See, nothing. Just an animal—!"

A dark shadowy mass flew from out the bushes, hitting Niwa. The boy cried out falling onto his back, hitting the ground with a horrible yelp. He cried rolling onto his side, clutching his arm.

"Ahhhh! What was that?!" Sasaki screamed frantically.

"His arm! He's bleeding!" Uno shouted pointing at Niwa.

Niwa had three long slits–painted fresh with blood–going down his arm, all the way from his shoulder to his elbow. Whatever had gotten him, easily tore through his jacket and shirt reaching the flesh.