Chapter 5: The Evacuation of the Eishu Detention Center - Part 3

"Let's Make a Deal"

Yuma had been dealing with curses ever since she could remember. They were as commonplace in her life like ants on a sidewalk. She'd learn to deal with them in her own way. Before the incident, there was never a curse she met that couldn't be dealt with with a simple punch or kick. Afterward merely avoiding them was easy enough.

This...This was an entirely new thing for her. Yuma had experienced fear before. She's seen it the looks of her peers when her knuckles were soaked with blood. She's seen in the eyes of her mother when she feared the future of Yuma. She remembered the look in her own eyes as she stared in the mirror so many times.

This was a new level of fear at which Yuma could have never imagined. Sweat dripped down her burning skin. She had to steel her nerves to keep her legs from shaking

"W-What—What's this feeling? So much power...h-how is this even possible?"

Slowly turning around, keeping her arms up in a defensive position, there he stood.

Sukuna.

Lips curved up twisting into a wicked smirk, flashing pointed teeth. Two pairs of eyes narrowed in a vicious glower that cut Yuma to the core. His malicious grin spread even further as his gaze settled on Yuma. There was a strange excitement gleaming in his dark eyes.

"So you stayed behind huh? Hehe. Makes things a bit easier for me."

Yuma attacked first. Launching at Sukuna with her right fist swing in a right hook. She met nothing but air. "Where did he–?"

"Attacking first huh?"

"Wha–Ngah!" Yuma quickly turned around only to have a hand wrap around her neck. Her throat seized as she choked. Sukuna chuckled, the grip of his fingers around the girl's neck increasing as he lifted her off the ground.

"Smart move, but you're a bit too slow."

Yuma gripped the offending wrists, squeezing in hopes to loosen the grip around her neck. Sukuna merely chuckled at the girl's futile efforts. She was strong for sure but she wouldn't be getting out of his hold.

"You're strong. If you were doing this to any other person you'd surely have snapped their wrists with ease."

Sukuna pulled Yuma in closer, examining the girl's face. His free hand came up gripping one of Yuma's horns. His fingers ran up and down the smooth polished surface. He chuckled and then gave a sharp tug causing Yuma to wince. So they weren't for decoration the horns really were a part of her.

His eyes moved down to Yuma's face taking in the girl's features. There was a look of perplexity on his face. Her eyes...Sukuna pulled Yuma away before a set of chuckles bubbled forth. The mirth turned into full-blown laughter, cruel and mocking in its tone.

"Hahahahaha! I knew you were interesting! I know who you are! Who would've thought? That crazy bastard really did it huh? Hahahahaha!"

Yuma's brows furrowed as Sukuna continued to laugh as if he had heard the most hilarious joke in the world, his head thrown back as the cackles came out nonstop.

"Know who I am? What does he mean?"

Yuma continued to squeeze at Sukuna's wrist trying to free herself. She dug her fingers into the flesh of his arm and a burst of cursed energy was released, tendrils of orange-red cracks appearing on Sukuna's arm.

"Oh?"

He finally let go of Yuma, releasing his grip and allowing the girl to drop onto the floor like a sack of potatoes. She coughed and hacked holding her neck, catching her breath. Sukuna examined his arm studying the damage Yuma had done.