Chapter One

Nicole and her husband Arnelle are in the kitchen preparing dinner for their close friends and guests, Erik and his wife Shaunice. Erik and Arnelle have been friends since their college days at Howard University. They were also line brothers pledging Omega Psi Phi. Friendship is essential to the soul—That was their slogan. Arnelle graduated with a bachelor's in engineering and a master's to become a bioprocess engineer. Erik graduated with a bachelor's in architecture and a master's to become an architectural manager. Arnelle and Erik drifted apart for two years after graduation but soon reunited when a line brother and close friend of theirs passed away in a motorcycle accident. From then on, Arnelle and Erik became best friends and it's been ten years. About four years ago, Nicole and Arnelle started dating after one of her closest girlfriends hooked them up for a blind date. Nicole wasn't feeling Arnelle at first, even dissed him a few times but soon after Nicole decided to give him a shot since he is a decent guy compared to the one's from her past. He helped Nicole through nursing school and during her graduation dinner he proposed. With the sapphire engagement ring in 14k yellow gold on her finger, Nicole happily said yes. It's been two years since their wedding in the Bahamas. Shaunice was Erik's on-again, off-again girlfriend since his graduate year at Howard University. Shaunice was attending Howard University to obtain a business degree and now she is a popular nail, hair,  and makeup tech with her own shop in LA. It took a while for Erik to finally decide to put a ring on Shaunice's finger. Just a year ago Shaunice and Erik had a luxury wedding where she was featured in a magazine wearing a designer wedding gown. Nicole didn't talk about it with Arnelle but she always felt as if Shaunice and Erik's relationship was fake. Shaunice always had her hand out for money from Erik and Erik wasn't 100% about putting that 2.5 carat halo engagement ring on Shaunice's finger from what Arnelle gossiped about to her.

What's Nicole's opinion of Erik? Well, for one he has an inflated sense of his own importance, an ego so big it's suffocating, can be arrogant and condescending, uses demands like he's your damn daddy, acts like he's a know-it-all, and will use his charm and wit to get whatever he wanted. How Arnelle can be friends with Erik Nicole couldn't comprehend because they were opposites of each other. Sure, Erik is handsome, good-looking, beddable, intelligent, hard-working, and ambitious. With good looks and brains, maybe even a big dick, people tend to overlook the cons of a man. That couldn't be Nicole. Erik would have been dropped like a bad habit...so she says. Erik always made it his priority to tease and annoy Nicole whenever they socialized in their couples group chat for gatherings. Erik's derision and jeering words always led to an argument between the two. Arnelle and Shaunice were so used to it by now that they just let them go at it until they were both exhausted. That's exactly what Nicole expected tonight during their couples dinner that they planned once a month. Arnelle informed Erik and Shaunice in the group chat that Nicole was preparing a family recipe for Shepherd's Pie with a side of roasted garlic asparagus and baked ziti with a Trinidad twist which is a favorite of Arnelle's.

Erik: What the fuck is Shepherd's Pie? 🤢 Sounds like some old people's food, Arnelle. You should have let me make my spicy chipotle shrimp with cumin rice.

Shaunice: Erik stop being an ass! It all sounds good Arnelle!!

Erik: It sounds nasty lol. Last time Nicole let her rotisserie chicken dry out so I don't trust her cooking. 😂😂😂😂

Shaunice: Arnelle let's get ourselves prepared now for the bickering between these two 🙄

Arnelle: I'm already expecting the roast session between these two lol. Just let me know when ya'll are close.

Erik: Will do bruh! I'm bringing the Hennessy so have the glasses ready! 💪🏾

Shaunice: Please tell me y'all have some 1800. I'm tired of drinking Hennessy, that's all this man wants.