12. Almost

You stood at the front of the Karasuno High School Parking Lot, waiting for him with flowers and cake. The bus approached closer by the second, as you gulped nervously, your knees shaking tremendously. The thoughts overwhelmingly pounded your head, corrupting and eating away your nearly nonexistent courage.

Shit. What do I say? I don't know. Get it together, get it together-

The low growl of the bus engine hummed. Finally, what seemed to be a minuscule dot beyond the road was now a bus that had arrived. A bus that brought memories and a faint, lingering happiness, dim, yet real. A bus that brought Tsukishima.

You froze, staring silently at the blonde boy stepping down off the steps of the bus. He merely glanced at you and quickly turned away, muttering a few inaudible words as he waited for the rest of his teammates.

Your mouth hung open to say his name, refusing to leave your tongue. You stood there, wanting only to move. The dull ache amplified its desire for Tsukishima's pure essence: his soothing scent, distinguishable touch, warm kisses, tight embraces, adorable saltiness, and unconditional love.

You were deprived, pleading for his abandoned comfort. Even so that you loved him, missed him, wished him, almost too much.

Struggling, you couldn't move, instead, merely staring from afar. It was all too familiar, no different from the past: the truth was, you weren't in control. No, you were never really in control in the first place, the grasp of hope slipping, the shine of the light of purpose fading, the will of courage crumbling. And now, you were finally realizing it, words failing to speak as the needles drew blood.

It hurts. Stop. Make it stop.

The pain was too sudden, already bringing the tears dotting the cement. Harshly clenching your over-sized sweater, your knuckles whitened, and you refused to accept the reality of despair.

And so, one step closer, you walked. One foot after the other, held in breaths purely concentrating on each and every step. You walked with the tension stiffening your legs, but still, you continued, closer and closer you went. He was there, so near, yet so far, tens of feet away. Reaching for him, you called out for his name.

Almost, you were there

almost.