15. Iris

You woke in the sterile, white room, a somber wholeness residing. You turned to see the wilting irises beside you, but the petals shriveled into a dull grey, crumbling at your slightest touch.

Flashback:

The bakery permeated with the reminiscent aromas of pastries. Primal instincts warped by the voices cautioned to avoid, digging your heels into the ground. Feet paralyzed, your body trembled as the unsettling tension pervaded, rooting from the insecurities seeded in your mind.

Their stares punctured the spikes of doubt through your stomach, your gut coiling in nauseated ties.

"G-go away."

"Excuse me?" the girl behind you scoffed, crossing her arms.

You flinched, abruptly snapping to reality. You didn't bother to apologize as you scurried to the bathroom, breathes stolen from their judging eyes. There were too many of them as a claustrophobic pain seethed underneath your skin, itching to leave.

Still, they continued to watch.

Their eyes pervaded no matter where you were. Everyone now saw the grotesque truth of your insecurities -- stripped, raw, exposed -- and they were repulsed.

"I can't do this anymore. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I wish I could go away. I want to die"

You shut your eyes to avoid their stares and held in your breath to slip away from their grasp.

They will go away. They are not here. They are not real. It will disappear. Go away.

Your lungs ignited in pain for air, tears welling from the corners of your eyes.

End of Flashback

You rested against the fence bordering the school rooftop. There was no Kei, and it was too quiet.

You held the flower in your hand, slowly loosening your grip. You had nothing left but the iris that was slowly withering. It was only a mere flower dying in the extensive field of many others, overshadowing its triviality. It was left there to disappear, neglected. You wanted to give up, because maybe if you did, then it would finally leave. Then maybe - just maybe - the pain would disappear, and you could go away.

You let go.

"Wait-"

Your eyes widened as you suddenly lurched to reach the falling petals. You slipped, letting go, forgetting your grip, your lost thoughts, and the suffering.

A/N:

Hello! Sorry for not updating in a while (I've been quite busy). What did you think of this chapter? Was it angsty enough? Feel free to give your thoughts and/or constructive criticism. I tried incorporating symbolism but I'm not really sure how well it turned out.

Anyways, we have approximately two more chapters left (yay!). What book should I work on after: Kageyama, Oikawa, or Obito/Tobi?