𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐: 𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞

Note: This is going to be a flashback chapter back when the burnish first appeared

TW:Birth?

                                           *************************************

  Mei walked into the bathroom of her home trying to maintain her calmness. She was frighted with herself. A random burst of fire spurting from her mouth at a moment of despair? Where had this power come from?

"No no no no no no" She repeated to herself, remembering her lover still outside when the fire came out of her. She ran to find him almost completely burnt. her stomach completely turned at the sight. She held her pregnant abdomen as she felt herself get sick and had to turn to vomit. 

 Why was she so worried, Mei wondered. That man abused her, threatened to leave her at the notice of her pregnancy yet her heart still sunk as the sight. 

'He's gone' Mei said to herself, the only thing she could process at the moment. Then her lips curved into an unsettling smile.

"HE'S GONE" She then yelled still shocked. 

"I'm safe I'm free I-" She then paused, and noticed many voices speaking from the other homes, she began to go back into her home. As she locked the door she looked down towards her unborn child.

"I did it my child, I feel like a powerful Lion..." An idea had popped into her mind. "Lio... your name will be Lio, dear." She then began hugging herself, imaging her Lio there. 

'This power..' Mei thought to herself  'It is a clear blessing in itself.' However, what now? Mei had just gotten rid of the one person who could harm her, and with this new power she could do anything.

"ACK" Mei gasped, she felt a sharp pain in her lower stomach. "It can't be its early- AGH" A sudden feeling of a burst erupted inside her. It was time. Mei could not go to public areas, she nearly just killed her partner, she had to deliver Lio on her own. 

As Mei layed herself down on the floor she felt a burst of power surge through her body. "It can't be the fire...is it?" She said to herself. a sharp pain struck her womb and felt the baby come right out from her. Her insides felt like they were twisting and turning, but not on their own will. A heat was surging through her but not harming her. It definitely was not natural. Then she felt it leave her out through her womb. She then saw her child fresh and bare surrounded by teal fire.

She quickly grabbed him as the blaze disappeared and took a blanket on her nearby couch to conceal him in warmth. As she finally saw her pale skinned and lime haired baby the world froze.

Lio opened his eyes in the first time and was greeted by the sight of his smiling mother. There were hardly any words to share, so much has happened in these few moments. She was freed from abuse and now her child has been given to her.

"Could this power have given you to me Lio?" She asked her newborn.  Mei then felt herself begin to weaken. Her body became heavy but this was not a time for rest. She needed a plan now. How will she care for Lio and this new flame? 

Suddenly the TV suddenly turned on, it was an emergency broadcast. The screen flashed with red as the reporter began to speak.

"We ask that all must stay where they are and wait for authorities to come for them. We are getting news that sudden eruptions of fire have come from many individuals at random. Professionals are starting to refer to them as Burnish. If you have experienced such an eruption please report to your local police or fire station, Military troops have already been sent there."

The program began to repeat in other languages, life has gotten dangerous now and with the recent death toll, burnish might even be seen as the enemy now. If the Burnish were a threat then there had to be more of them right? The only people she could trust burnish now.

A sudden knock on the door startled Mei in her thoughts. Lio became startled and began to cry but quickly stopped by his mother shushing him. She couldn't open the door, it would be too much of a risk...

"Ma'am please open the door, we wanted to check if everyone is safe after recent activities." The voice outside the door announced. 

'It can't be too bad' She though to herself 'If she naturally opens the door they may think she is a victim and leave... right.' 

Mei then struggled to stand with Lio in her hands and opened the door.

"Ma'am we have been informed that Burnish activities have been present at your area and someone outside your door had been burned, are you aware of that?" That man stood tall in a military uniform and forced himself inside her home. 

"Wait a minute you can't just come in... no I don't know him." She replied in fear of what their former relationship could make the man think of her. He then stared at her for what felt like forever.

He finally spoke with a firm voice. "Come with me, please be aware that lying with me is strictly illegal-" Lio began to cry loudly as his voice boomed over the home.

"No please I have a child I can't just leave now I just had him-" She yelled interrupting him. 

Now the soldier was upset. "Refrain from using such a tone with an official you will come with me now to our base." What could Mei do, a women who just gave birth against this man? She could feel the anger of being so helpless build in her. The anger of being treated like this after having Lio. This level of power, even the energy she had now was unnatural. How did she still have stamina after birth? Why was this great force that felt like fire building inside her...

Before he could grab her, Mei released a huge blaze from her body causing him to fall. She then ran outside still holding a crying Lio.

Soon another man drove towards her in a car. "Please I want to help you, are you a burnish too?" She silently nodded, accepting her new life.

"Come with us we can help you." he told her pointing to the other people, a mix of adults and children.

What choice did she have? 

Without a word she nodded again and got in the car.

                                           *************************************

Wow this one was long...

So remember the pregnant woman in the beginning of Promare from Paris? I have a small head cannon that she is Lio's mother, so I built the story with that small part. Anyways thanks for the Read!