[chapter two]

After reading the last note, the enthusiasm I'd had disappeared instantly. Those notes only brought me heartache, melancholy and sadness. I was shocked at first but I knew deep down that I deserved it. I mean, I had left him, hadn't written or called and hadn't visited. I was mad at myself.

"Sweetie?" Mum interrupted my thoughts. "Yeah, I'm here, what?" I said, laughing. "I was saying, Elizabeth and her fiancé Watson have invited us for dinner, as we don't have anything settled and we would like to catch up" she said, smiling. "Besides, you'll be able to see Sam" she added, smirking. His name made my stomach twist "Not the time" I muttered. "Oh, sorry honey" she added quickly. "Has something happened between you two?" She asked, kindly. "Don't worry mum, everything's fine" I said, with a fake smile. She nodded and left. "Hey, and dress nice!" She shouted, already from downstairs. 

[Time skip]

The bell rang. I looked down at myself. I was wearing a pair of mom jeans with a white tank top and a blue jacket Mrs. Thomas had bought me for my birthday last year, and shipped to Ohio. I loved it. I also wore my yellow Converse and my hair loose over my shoulders, slightly curled. I was holding a bag of ice cream, because we wanted to bring something to thank them for the invitation. It was a surprise when my mother said and her fiancé Watson, but then she explained everything. I was truly happy for Mrs. Thomas, she deserved it.

*Ding dong* 

"Elizabeth!" Mum squealed. "Victoria! Luke!" She said, with delight. She hugged both my parents and motioned them to come in. She saw me and smiled. I blushed slightly. "Christine! Look at you! You're so pretty and tall!" "Do you like my jacket?" I questioned, smiling. She noticed, and smiled. "Actually, you know, Sam picked it." She said. My stomach did a flip, again, for the second time, as I heard his name. I smiled lightly and walked holding John's hand. She hugged him and introduced him to David Michael, the youngest of her kids.

"Christine!" David Michael shouted. "Hey buddy! You remember me!" I said. He hugged me and I smiled in awe. John and him introduced themselves, David Michael was seven, at least I guessed, and John was five, but they became good friends in like two minutes. I walked to the living room, where Kristy, Charlie and a man, who I guessed was Watson, were setting up the table. "Let me help" I said. Kristy and Charlie noticed me, and Kristy basically threw herself at me. "Chris!" She squealed. "Hey Kristy! You've grown!" I noticed, chuckling. "Hey, I'm only two years younger than you" she said. "I know" I chuckled. "Hey dork" Charlie greeted me smiling, as usual. We used to call each other stupid and dork, but in a caring way. He was always like a big brother to me. "Hey stupid" I greeted back. He rolled his eyes and handed me some forks to set up the table.

As we finished I heard footsteps coming from the stairs. I turned and saw Sam. "Christine?" He said, slowly.

Sam's POV

As I left my room to go to the living room, where we were going to have dinner, I saw a girl with slightly curled brown clear hair, a pale blue jacket, mom jeans and yellow shoes. I recognized her immediately. She turned and gasped. I couldn't find the words. Her hazelnut eyes looked at me shining. "Christine?" I slowly asked, as if the mention of her name was going to wake me up and tell me it was all a dream. "Sam?" She said, smiling slowly. "You... why didn't you ..? ...I ..." I stepped back as I couldn't believe it. It had been a long time, I had grown accustomed to the fact that she was never going to come back, that she left me. I ran back to my room.

Normal POV

"...why didn't you?...I ..." he trailed off. I knew what he was going to say. I saw tears forming in his eyes. He ran to his room. "Is he ok?" Said Mrs. Thomas. "Yeah...I, I know what's going on... I better go talk to him" I explained. She nodded and went back to talking with my mother.

I didn't have problems remembering the way to Sam's room, I had spent most of my childhood there. All the memories flooded my head, some made me emotional. Remembering the first time I went into Sam's room, when I stayed to sleep and we somehow ended up cuddling... all our jokes, his smiles, my laughs. Everything came back. I arrived to Sam's door. I knocked, as I heard quiet sobs. "Come in" he said. When he saw me, he wiped the tears of his eyes quickly. "Sam..." I said. He was going to start talking but I cut him off. "I'm sorry. I read your notes. I'm so sorry I wasn't here for you when your dad..." I rethought my words and continued. "I'm sorry for making you believe I wasn't  coming back, I didn't even know myself. I'm such a jerk, I should've called, written or just talked to you..."

He looked at me with his brown eyes. "I'm truly sorry" I said, for the hundredth time.

He looked a bit surprised, which made me uneasy because of the fact that maybe he wasn't expecting me to say that. I truly was sorry.

Sam's POV

"I'm truly sorry" she said. Tears were falling from her eyes, so I stood up and hugged her tightly. I didn't care about the world around us, all that mattered is that she was back next to me, we were finally together again. She gasped a bit because of the sudden contact, but she hung tight onto my arms and cried silently. I smiled. We stayed like that for what seemed to be minutes, too desperate for each other's warmth to break the hug. Suddenly, mum came in.

"Hey Sam... oh" she said, stopping when she saw us hugging. We quickly stood there, a bit awkwardly, our faces bright red. "I'm happy you two are back together" she said, smiling. "Oh, and dinner's ready!" She said, already walking down to the dining room. I grabbed my best friend's hand and wiped the tears from her cheeks. "I missed you" she whispered, smiling, and I chuckled lightly. It was nice having her again.

We walked downstairs, to have dinner surrounded with bright joy and laughs. The evening went on pretty quickly as we were all having a good time, but I only cared about the girl sitting next to me, and I made a promise to myself:

I'm never letting you go again, Chris, I promise

a/n

lol why is this so cringe in the end...

everything is going so fast. I'm rethinking my life's decisions when I posted this.

anyways, please vote if you're liking the story and comment 😀🙏