1

Author's note:

  Hi ya'll, chicken here. (Nvm if you don't understand. My friends will:) So I'm SHOCKED you actually opened this book. First, it's a sad book. Second, there isn't many scenes (Ahem) Third, you'll kill me at the end. Finally, you won't know what hit you at the end. (Hopefully) 

  *Stares at you in utter disbelief.* How are you still here? Fine, go read at your own risk. Your loss is my gain. Just don't assassinate me later. 

Please vote and follow. Also, try and guess what will happen at the end, ask me questions and give me feedback. Anything you wanna do, I'm fine really. Anyways, good luck!

  PS. Thanks for entertaining me. You'll understand later ;)

PSS. I added some songs for you guys to listen to while you read. Enjoy!

 The world is not perfect. It is not sunshine and rainbows and cupcakes. No. Sometimes, it is a dark abyss that I wander pointlessly in, my mind blank, my heart aching. Sometimes, it is a place of shadow and light and, more often than not, I end up in the shadows, always afraid, never fitting. Other times, the world is a maze of deceptions, of hidden meanings and deep dark secrets of my past. See, I am not normal. I am a fairy. A fairy is a shape-shifter that can die, simply not of old age. 

  We can sense whether there is danger, if each other is alive and which fairy is which so that a fairy cannot trick another fairy. But you must be rather confused right now, so I shall move on with the story.

  I am Raena Goldman, daughter of two assassins, one which happen to be the general of King Hans, king of the fairies. My story, my history, my truth started with the war. The first in magical history. The Great War.

  You must understand, our underground lands were split by the Ancients, our ancestors, and out of respect, the lands had always been split like how the Ancients had split it. However, the vampires, werewolves and warlocks had gotten the smaller portion of land. Of course they were displeased and wished for more land.

  The fairies and gnomes had little land and could not afford to lose it. King Hans had also reasoned that they were thriving with that amount of land they were given and did not need anymore land. Furthermore, the elves needed their vast amount of land for forest magic. So when the vampires, werewolves and warlocks declared war, the elves stood alongside us. But the rest of the magical creatures, who never experienced war before, stayed neutral out of fear.

  Our numbers were small and they were far more powerful than we are. However, King Hans was wise. He was slippery and tricky. With his wits, we managed to scrape through for a couple of months. However, victory was not to be.

  "I'm a better fighter than Alana. Why am I the one King Hans chose to hide out in the mundane world and keep our race from extinction lest we are wiped out due to our tiny numbers?" I asked again on the day I was to be sent to the mundane world. My sister, Alana, glared at me.

  "It was in the stars, Raena. You know not to thwart fate. Tonight you shall go to the mundane world. It is the safest place right now. Alana will come and fetch you. Now, we must fight for our country and you must stay alive for the good of our race. It is an honor, Raena. Do not scorn it." Pa replied calmly as he sheathed his sword. 

  Ma smiled sadly and kissed me on the forehead before they left on another day of fighting. I sighed as I sank into my bed. Hours dragged past painfully slowly. Finally, the city clock rang three times, signaling night. I heard the front door open and felt Alana. I went down the stairs absolutely silently. Force of habit, I guess. It probably has something to do with Pa and Ma's training.