Chapter 1

It was another long day ahead for Buck and he knew by the end of it he would feel the toll of the shift. He smiled though, as he looked at what day he was on. Day 132 of his 365 days probation. He smiled as he saw the numbers appear on the screen before setting off to the station. Who could blame him really, for counting down the days till he passed his probation? Buck had felt complete since landing his perfect job at the 118. Yes, he had his demons from his past which had slowed him down from getting here sooner, but he never told anyone on the team about them. He didn't want the pity. So now here he was at the age of 27, finally in a job that made him feel important and wanted, and with a bright future ahead.

He pulls up at the firehouse, his focus on the big entrance where the vehicles are sat ready to go, he smiles as Hen walks past and watches as she signals for him to walk in with her he shakes his head and holds his hand up and mouths, 'Give me five minutes'. She nods and walks off, leaving him inside his Jeep. He sat there and started to drum his fingers on the steering wheel as he went through his morning routine, sounding off the routine in his head to prepare him for the day ahead. It helped him focus on tuning out the doubt and anxiety, it was something a therapist had taught him while in Mexico working at a bar, the therapist had noticed Buck struggled so had told him a simple way to deal with his anxiety when out in public.

"Breathe," Buck says, as he takes deep and slow breaths.

"Shift my attention, to keep me focused," he says, as he continues to breathe.

"No one is perfect, so if you make a mistake - it's fine," he says, and takes a deep breath.

"Try at least two things off the rejection game," he finally says as he puts his hand on the door handle and opens it, taking his car key out the ignition and leaning to grab his bag.

As he locks his car and walks towards the station he feels at ease as he sees Bobby stood at the entrance, smiling.

"Hey Buck, you're early today," Bobby says with a smile.

"Yeah, I wanted enough time to enjoy whatever you have cooked today," Buck replies.

"Well I haven't started yet but if you want, I could use a hand?" Bobby says as they walk in.

"That would be great, I could do with learning some tips," Buck responds.

"I bet you can cook really well, don't doubt yourself. Now hurry up and get ready and let's get some dinner in us before the calls start on this long day." Bobby smiles, Buck nods and heads to the locker room where he can see Hen and Chim sat talking.

"Hey guys," Buck says, as he enters.

"Well, who got you up this early?" Chim chuckles.

"No one - just wanted to be early, plus I kind of forgot to eat," Buck says as he places his bag down.

"Ah, wanted to indulge in Cap's cooking, I can't say I blame you," Hen says, smiling.

"Something like that," Buck responds as he opens his locker.

"Well we will see you up there," Chim says.

They leave and Buck starts getting ready, focusing on making sure he is dressed smartly and everything is put away. He heads out of the locker room and starts to head to the stairs where he sees Mac from the earlier shift.

'Rejection game, beginners question: strike up a conversation with somebody outside of your friendship circle', Buck says in his head.

"Hey Mac, was it a good shift?" Buck asks and he sees Mac stop and look at him and Buck waits for the rejection and, most likely, getting ignored. Most of the others on the other shift ignored him as he was a probie.