Chapter 10

Dropping the spider on the ground, you started to follow as it skittered off in one direction. You heard four thumps behind you as Percy, Tyson, Grover, and Annabeth followed behind you.

Finally, you turned a corner and saw the spider slip under a door. It was a big metal door and you just knew that this was the place. You froze and then took a deep breath. Steeling yourself, you pushed open the door and walked inside.

You gasped in surprise. The room was bigger than Bunker 5 and filled with tools you couldn't even imagine what they were for. Your eyes were wide open and you had to shut your mouth. You spun around, trying to take everything in at once.

"Well, well, looks like my daughter has found my forge." a deep voice chuckled from behind you. Turning, you saw a huge man with metal leg braces and a dirty apron on. His face would have been considered ugly by many, but you could see that his eyes held a twinkle that made you immediately like him.

"Hephaestus?" you asked.

"Yes my child, I am proud of you. You have been brave. I'm sorry about your mother, I didn't know she would get that bad after I left." He starred off forlornly off into space then snapped back to reality as he noticed the two teens behind you. "Ah, yes, you wanted my help. Correct?"

"Yes, we would like to know how to find Daedalus's workshop," Annabeth said.

"Yes, yes, I'll give you a hint, but only if you do something in return. One of my forges at Mt. St. Helens has been acting up. I would like you to check it out."

"Ok, we'll do it."

"I'll give you the hint now. Percy already knows of two ways to find Daedalus's workshop" Your father let his eyes find yours and you nodded, understanding what he meant.

"What? Percy, what does he mean? This is the second time someone has told us that!" Annabeth turned to Percy who had a thoughtful expression on his face, then he snapped out of it.

"I- I might have an idea..." He trailed off and looked at you, who was currently trying to sneak out of the room unnoticed. You groaned at being caught. "Where are you going, aren't you coming?"

You calmed your racing heart when your eyes met his sea-green ones. "This isn't my quest as Annabeth has told me many times, and I wouldn't want to intrude on your dynamic because obviously, you'd prefer to be questing with her. Anyway, I have my own quest to finish." You smiled and then slipped out the door. As you turned to go down the path with green lines, you heard the door open behind you and Percy grabbed your arm and turned you around to face him.

"What's your problem with Annabeth and how do you know where to go?"

You crossed your arms, "I already told you my problem with Annabeth, but you shoved me off. I understand my place, I know when I'm not wanted. So I'm leaving."

"Are you just running away?"

"No, I'm completing my own quest and understanding the social cues from others." You smiled faintly and then turned down the path, wiping the unbidden tears that streamed down your face. Percy didn't call after you.

*time skip*

It must have been about a week or maybe more, you couldn't tell when you were captured by two demigods. You struggled, but they dragged you through a door to the middle of an arena.

"Ah, look who decided to drop by. It's lovely to see you, Y/N, have you decided to join me?" Luke was on a balcony with a giant. The rest of the arena's stands were filled with creatures of every species.

"No, I am not joining you ever." You struggled against the demigods but froze when the giant spoke.

"Traveler, do you wish to pass unharmed through my arena?"

"Yes, I wish to pass unharmed."

"Are you willing to fight for the ability to pass?" When you nodded, he called to the snake ladies. "Let her go!" He smiled at you. "Pick your weapon, little one, for you're going to fight an empousa!" You hesitated, but then flicked out your swords. You glared at Luke.

"I'm ready." He just sighed in annoyance, barely concealing his anger at being turned down again.

You closed your eyes and then heard a gate opening. You turned to face a teenage-looking girl with flaming hair, a bronze leg, and a goat's leg. You lowered yourself into a fighting stance as she stalked towards you.