Chapter 39

Optimus Prime's Pov

I had been alerted that Kai had arrived at our pool.  I popped my head above the water, but was suprised to see an older couple.

"Hello," the female smiles.

I wave and bring myself closer to the edge of the pool.  Suddenly, Kai surfaces right next to me, causing me to jump.  Ratchet breaks the water's surface right behind her, bumping into me in the process.

"There you are Optimus," Kai exclaims.

I smile as she pecks my cheek.  She then climbs out of the water, with Sailor in her arms.

"Ok, then.  Dad, Mom, this is Optimus Prime and Ratchet.  Optimus, Ratchet, these are my parents," Kai quickly explains.

"A pleasure to meet you," Kai's father says.

"No, the pleasure is all ours," I say as I hold out me hand, Ratchet doing the same.

Mr. Sedna quickly shakes out hands before shoving his hands in his pockets.  Mrs. Sedna looks at her husband before shaking our hands too, much to his dismay.

"It is really nice to meet you," Mrs. Sedna says, smiling.  "I'm really glad that Kai has four boyfriends she can rely on."

I'm about to speak when Bumblebee and Smokescreen pop up next to me and hide behind my back.

"Help us, Prime!  Wheeljack is after us!"  Smokescreen says.

"What did you do?" Ratchet sighs.

Bumblebee chirps and clicks in response.

"Well, you're scrap," Ratchet says.

"Have a spark and help us," Smokescreen directs at Ratchet.

"It's your fault that you thought pulling a prank on Wheeljack, of all merformers, was a good idea," Ratchet scolds.

"We underestimated the amount of seaweed we used," Smokescreen innocently shrugs.

"Smokescreen and Bumblebee, you better gets your tails over here before I come and get you myself!" Wheeljack exclaims as he surfaces, covered in seaweed.

Smokescreen and Bumblebee quickly scram, followed by a very anger Wheeljack.

I quickly look at Kai's parents and apologize, "I'm sorry for their childish behavior."

"Don't be, that was amusing," Kai's mother laughs.

I smile once more, enjoying the positive energy coming from Kai's mother.  Kai's tense figure eases a bit as she watches us while Sailor coos in her lap, playing with her fingers.  Kai then directs her attention to her father, who seems unimpressed.

"How many merformers are there?" he asks, curiously.

"There are nine in this pool and sixteen (including Makeshift, Dreadwing, Skyquake, and Steve and four other Vehicons) in the other pool," Kai says.

Her father nods to himself, before looking at me.

"Are you the leader of this pool?  The others seem to respect you," he asks me.

"Yes, when I became a Prime I became the leader of the Autobots," I explain.

"A Prime?" Mr. Sedna questions.

"I possess the Matrix of Leadership, therefore making me a Prime," I say.

"Does the other pool's leader have a Matrix too?" Mr. Sedna continues to ask.

"No, Megatron does not have a Matrix.  That led to him joining the Decepticons," I sigh.

"Interesting," Kai's father mutters to himself.

Ratchet arches his eyebrows at him, but does not question his odd behavior.  Mrs. Sedna looks a bit stressed so she chuckles nervously.

"Dear, don't trouble the poor merformers," Mrs. Sedna says.

"Don't worry, I don't mind answering your questions," I reassure.

Kai's mother smiles and Kai's father just stares at us.

"Aren't you sweet," Kai says, trying to keep the conversation flowing.

I just smile as Kai pecks my cheek again while Sailor is grabbing for me.  I gently take the young merformer and he cuddles into my chest.  Kai giggles and I chuckle too.  I notice that Mr. and Mrs. Sedna are whispering to each other, but they stop when they see me looking at them.

"Mr. Sedna, may I ask what you do for a living?" Ratchet asks.

"I am a retired government agent," he plainly says.

Ratchet continues, "That must have been a very interesting job."

"It was," Kai's father says.

"Do you know an Agent Fowler?" Ratchet questions.

Mr. Sedna pause and thinks, "Not that I recall."

Ratchet nods and stops asking questions.

"I'm starving, what time is it?" Mrs. Sedna says, breaking the silence, obviously nervous.

"12:00, Mom.  You guys can go wait in the car.  I'll be right there," Kai says, remaining on the floor.

Kai's mother nods and guides her husband outside.

A/N: Sorry if the last two chapters were bad.  I didn't really know how to write for the parents first meeting with the merformers.