Chapter 1: Once Upon A Time

𝚈𝚎𝚊𝚛 1991.
𝙰 𝚑𝚘𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚊𝚕 𝚒𝚗 𝙲𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚛𝚊𝚍𝚘.

The hospital is stuffy. Mina feels surprisingly calm. The doctors and nurses keep shuffling in and out of the room. One of the babies kick again. She rubs her own stomach gently.

"Mina Natsuki? I'm Dr. Tanner. I'll be in charge tonight. How are you feeling?"

"Quite....full!" Mina laughs.

"A new mother with a good sense of humour! I like it!"

"They've been kicking extra hard lately."

"They're eager to see us!"

Their conversation is interrupted by a very tall, good-looking Korean man. 

"Honey! Oh my god I got out of work just in time!"

"You're the new father I presume?" The doctor holds out his hand.

"Yes! Yes I am! Kim Seo-joon, nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you too, I'm Dr. Tanner. Your wife is in good hands Mr. Kim."

Seo-joon turns towards his wife who seems to be breathing heavily all of a sudden.

"Honey? What is it?"

"I think....I think..."

Mina purses his lips tightly together as she feels a rather strange sensation as if she just urinated, only she didn't.

"Kathy! Her water just broke! Hurry! Start keeping track of the contractions!" Dr.Tanner calls out to the nurse.

It's been over nine hours. Mina screams, she knew labor pain would be excruciating but nothing could have prepared her for this.

"Honey, I'm right here!" Seo-joon winces a little as Mina digs her nails into his hand from the way she clasps onto it.

"We're almost there Miss Natsuki, just push a little more." Dr. Tanner has his hands full as he pulls out the second baby. The first one is already in Seo-joon's arms.

Dr. Tanner places the baby in Mina's arms and congratulates the new parents.

The nurses quickly get busy with cleaning up and they leave the couple alone for some time.

"I'm so proud of you my Mina, you'll be a wonderful mother." Seo-joon smiles down softly at his wife who is holding both babies and crying tears of joy.

"I'm so glad we're in a country where you were able to stay by my side throughout the whole delivery. I wouldn't have been able to do this without you."

"I'm glad we chose to live here too honey."

Dr. Tanner enters again and Seo-joon leaves to give time to Mina for resting.

He's back the next day with flowers.

"Look honey, it's your favorite!" He's all smiles as he kisses Mina's forehead.

"We should call them." Mina sounds serious.

"We will, all in good time, you need more rest. Let's call tonight after we're home."

"They're waiting to see the twins darling, please, let's make the phone call."

"Alright," Seo-joon sighs as he connects with his parents in Seoul on video call.

They pick up almost immediately.

"Are they here?" His mother sounds excited.

"Yes omonee!"