Chapter 8

I'm distracted as I unpack and start moving into the room Ryan gave me. It's the same one as last time, just down the hall from his. I have to stop feeling this way about Ryan. It's not a good idea for either of us. My anxiety went through the roof when Peter rejected me, and I've just been starting to get back to normal. It's been over a month since my last anxiety attack and I feel like I'm getting back to feeling like myself, to finding my new place in all of this. I can't put myself through the pain of rejection again - He looked so sad when he mentioned his mate that passed, I can't imagine he'd want to try again, either. No, it's best if I just bury the butterflies and we just pretend to be together when we have to.

----------------

Turns out, that'll be sooner rather than later. I've got to meet the pack soon, or it'll look weird. Which means me and Ryan... acting like a couple. I'm excited at the thought and mad at myself for being excited. I mean, I don't even know anything about him! But, sometimes, the way he looks at me, I wonder if he doesn't feel it, too.

It's only been a couple of days, but a couple of days in a bubble as he shows me around the house, the farm, some of the pack land. But tomorrow, I've got to meet his pack, his friends, his parents - Oh my God, I'm gonna meet his parents. I don't feel ready for this at all. I've had this week off of work as they resort all my paperwork to get me formally rehired, but now I have to go back to work in a few days, as well. I feel overwhelmed by all that's happened. There's only one thing I can think to do that'll make me feel better.

"Hey, Macy?" Macy is one of the coworkers I've been getting closer to since I started eating lunch with her when I was avoiding Ryan before. She's also one of the few that isn't a part of his pack, which makes her excellent for this.

"Yeah, hun, what's up?"

"Do you work today?"

"No, why?"

"Would you be interested in helping me shop for a dress? I have to, erm, meet my boyfriend's parents and family, and I wanted to get something nice to wear."

"OMG, I'd love to! That's so exciting, you know I love a good shopping spree!"

"Great! I'll text you, see you in half an hour?"

"That sounds perfect, doll! I'll be there!"

Now to only find a decent outfit to wear to a big event with the money I saved on last month's rent, considering I currently only own scrubs, jeans, and t-shirts. It should be interesting, as the last time I shopped for a dress was my high school prom years ago. I don't even know my dress size anymore. I grab my keys and head out.

-----------------

I feel kind of bad. I don't know Macy that well since we can never truly be good friends, considering she doesn't know that werewolves exist, much less that I am one. But the thought of going out to look alone makes me feel anxious - I want to pick just the right thing. I have to look nice - no, more than nice. I have to look amazing, this is a big day for me. And Macy has been so sweet at work, I could use a friend like her. In fact, given everything going on, I could probably use a friend like her more than ever. Now that I have to lie to every werewolf in this vicinity about my relationship with Ryan, a human friend sounds like a great idea.

I get out in front of the entrance to the mall. I can already tell this is going to be an ordeal, as finding a dress always is, but I can't deny I'm somewhat excited to go shopping and hang out with a friend for the first time in a long time. Macy sees me from where she was looking in the window and points excitedly to a red cocktail dress. I laugh.

It's been an hour and I've lost count of how many dresses I've tried on and how many stores we've been in, but I've secured a dress. It's a green midi dress that's pretty but not too showy or formal, because I'm not sure how everyone else is dressing. I've also gotten a pair of heels to match. Macy saw me in it and declared immediately that it was the one, and I had to agree. Then, we got pizza and just talked for an hour before she had to go and get some laundry done. Now I'm back at the house, and even though I thought I'd gotten used to living alone, it suddenly seems eerily quiet. I tell myself not to seek out Ryan because I might do something stupid if he looks at me like that again, but I find myself seeking him out anyway. I somehow can't stand the quiet and empty feeling of the house on my own despite having lived on my own for so long before. So I walk through the house, stopping at his bedroom door and then his office to see if I hear him. When I don't, I walk away. Maybe he's not here. Maybe he doesn't want to see me-

"Olivia?"

Busted. I turn, plastering a smile on my face to hide the cringe that was just there. He's standing half in and half out of his office door, looking at me.

"Yes?"

"Were you.. looking for me?"

"What? No, why?"

"I heard you walk to the door, stop, and walk away." Well, shit. I can't stop the cringe from showing this time, and he sees it.

"Sorry. I was just.. bored. It feels so quiet in here after the day I've had." His face softens.

"Come tell me about it." No. Oh, no. This is capital N capital G Not Good. I'm gonna pull a total me move and fall for him just to get my heart broken. But it's only more awkward if I turn around now, so I swallow down my anxiety and follow him back into his office.