Six: Questions for John Doe

Violet

I look behind me at the boy, and I furrow my eyebrows. "How long have you been there?" I ask, looking around to see if there was anyone else. This boy is wearing a dark purple outfit, his cloth mask off to reveal a face of a boy maybe a year or so younger than me, messy black hair to show that he messes with it when he's stressed. This boy doesn't answer my question, instead looking us over.

"I have to assume by the suits you two are either superheroes or villains, and judging by how you're staking out a hospital, I have to say it's not looking too good for you." He doesn't know our family logo? This guy... he also has questions for Robin. He must be from one of those time fragments.

"I could say the same for you. You've been here longer than us.  Dark outfit, lurking in the shadows, how can we be sure you're not a villain?"  I ask, completely serious.  The boy opens his mouth, then closes it.

"Good point."  I roll my eyes, getting the idea this kid is just that, a kid.

"What are you doing here, kid?  Shouldn't you be home?" I ask, nearing the boy with folded arms.

"That's what I'm trying to do.  If that guy from the ambulance brought me here, he can take me back.  I have a city to protect back home and if I'm not there who knows what could happen."  The look of determination on his face tells me a lot, the one thing standing out is this: he's telling the truth.

I look to my younger brother, knowing what to do now.  "Dash, go home.  There's not much we can do tonight and we might as well wait till tomorrow.  I am going to stay behind and talk to this guy for a bit."  Dash gives me a look, knowing that that's not the case and I know he's going to interrogate the next time he sees me.  Nevertheless, he speeds away and leaves me to the stranger.  "You must be from one of those time fragments," I start, looking him over.

"Time fragments?" The boy asks, but I can only shrug.

"That's what Robin called them. He said his plane or whatever malfunctioned and instead of taking him to different times, the different times came to him." I try to explain it the best I can, but the boy is still confused as ever.

"Time travel is impossible."

"And yet, here you are. What year are you from?" I ask, folding my arms.

"...2032." The boy gives me a look and I just sigh, scratching my head.

"That's the closest time fragment to Robin's time he and I found. What's your name?" I walk up to him, then around him, looking him over.

"Uh, H-Hiro. Why are you interrogating me?" Hiro gives me a wary eye as I relax, looking back at the hospital.

"You're wearing some kind of suit I've never seen before. I'm surprised you haven't dragged attention to yourself wearing that."

"What attention?" All of a sudden Hiro disappears before my eyes and I have to look all around, failing to find him. Reappearing in front of me, Hiro smiles and I stare at him in shock.

"I thought I was the only one who can turn invisible!" I start examining him again and he raises an eyebrow at me.

"I-I can't, it's the suit— what do you mean turn invisible?" I turn invisible in front of him and his eyes widen into saucers.

"Woah, you're not— there's no— how can you do this?" I turn visible and he steps back, only to step closer and examine my face. "There's no flexible display technology covering your face and yet it disappeared." He continues to talk to himself but I interrupt him, stepping away from Mr. Crazy here.

"What display—whatever it is— are you talking about?" I ask incredulously, and Hiro shows me his mask, pressing a button on the side.  "Flexible Display Technology.  Basically, it's camouflage fabric."  The mask disappears and when I go to touch it, it's still there.  Hiro presses the button again and it reappears.

"Interesting."

"So, about this Robin guy," Hiro starts, looking back at the hospital.  "How are we gonna get him out of there so he can get me home?"

"The only way we can get you home is if we go in and talk to Agent Dicker."  If the police get to him first, this kid and a lot of others won't make it home for a long time.  "He's the only one who can help us."  Hiro nods, putting the mask on.  "You, however, don't need the getup."  I take the mask off of Hiro and he frowns at me, attempting to reach for it but with my hand in the air, he can't reach it and I smirk.  "Let's go, short stuff, Robin is waiting."  I give Hiro a look and he sighs, taking the suit off to reveal... cargo shorts and a red tee, the blue hoodie over it surprising me.  "How is that even comfortable with the suit over it?" I ask, but Hiro sighs.

"My family is waiting for me."  I nod, looking over at the hospital. 

"Let's go then."

Thirty minutes later, I'm walking in as myself rather than UltraViolet and Hiro walks behind me, keeping his head low.  I really didn't want to walk in without my mask, but Hiro reminded me that for one, Wilbur isn't from my time, so he wouldn't know me either way, and two, he would be listed as an unknown, so I could just be someone claiming him as a known.  I just have to avoid checking in at the desk.

With the waiting room as crazy as it is with people from different times panicking about where they are, two kids sneaking through is actually easier than one would think and Hiro and I reach Wilbur's room with ease.

Until the authorities leave the hospital room and see me of course.

1019 words