charades

~November 2012~

The boys were preparing to tour for their second album Take Me Home.

They were at the studio every day leading up to it, as well as the set to practice their small amounts of choreography and where they'd maneuver around to make sure each member reached each part of the stage.

After tour rehearsal all 5 boys were asked to join the head of their team and their "dad" on the road, Paul.

Paul: "hey boys what's up?"

Louis: "I mean, you called us here so..."

Paul chuckled

Paul: "the media had really been questioning your relationship statuses"

Harry: "and why does it matter?"

Paul: "because they start to ship you guys together and it's just a load of bad press that we don't need"

Harry just rolled his eyes and buried his face in his hands, he knew exactly where this was going.

Liam: "so what're you saying?"

Paul: "Zayn, you need to be seen with Perrie sometime within the next week. Louis you need to be seen with Eleanor and Harry you need to be seen with Taylor. Liam, you and Danielle have a date tonight. Niall, we've got management on the hunt for a match for you as we speak."

Zayn: "don't you hear how fucked this sounds coming from your mouth?!"

Paul: "it's not my rules lads, if I could I'd announce to the world that you're in absolute love with Harry, I would in a heart beat...but I can't zayn."

Zayn blushed hearing those words come from Paul's mouth so effortlessly because him and Harry hadn't exchanged them just yet.

Harry glanced over at Zayn with that devilish smirk he always wore and he couldn't get enough.

Liam: "this is actually stupid, I mean, not gonna lie, I could see myself and Danielle becoming something real but those two-

He pointed to Harry and Zayn who looked oblivious

Liam: -are so infatuated with each other, sure they deny it every single time we ask but can't you see how hurt Harry looks when zayn has to be seen with Perrie, and vice versa?!"

Paul: "like I said, I didn't ask for this lads, this was modest and Simon per usual. I can't do much but sit back and comply in order to stay around and keep this job for you guys."

Harry: "no it's fine, I get it, no use fighting it anymore..."

Harry got up, ruffling his hand through his messy curls and walking off outside.

Zayn: "when do I have to be seen with Perrie?"

Paul: "I think they were arranging for Friday night, they might have you guys all go out as a 10 piece to a club or something of the sort"

Zayn: "fuck Paul, that's even worse"

Louis: "he's admitted it lads!"

Zayn: "me and Harry are just friends as of now, it's not that deep, but he does mean a lot to me...I haven't admitted to anything"

Louis: "I'm pretty sure he's not gonna like Perrie rubbing up all on you on the dance floor friday night is he?"

Zayn: "I'm not one to say...but I just know that it's not gonna be a good idea"

Paul: "I'm sorry lads, I am...but you've got the entire world riding off your backs right now. They love you. Don't disappoint them yeah?"

Paul got up and nodded at them, clearly done conversing about the strange topic.

Zayn: "you guys need to stop being so open about me and Harry to Paul, what if he goes on to make a deal out of it?!"

Liam: "he's always been on our side Z, and you think he doesn't notice the heart eyes when you look at Harry?"

Zayn: "it's not that obvious"

Niall: "oh it's pretty damn obvious"

Louis: "what are you two then?"

Zayn: "I dunno, we haven't talked much about it"

Louis: "have you fucked?"

Zayn: "god no Louis..."

Louis: "kissed?"

Zayn: "no"

Louis: "you just look at each other like you want to?"

Zayn: "oh my god, I'm going to find him you idiots"

They just laughed at how well they could pester him as he walked off outside to find Harry.

Zayn walked out back of the building their set occupied and found Harry scrolling through his phone looking somewhat defeated.

Zayn: "hey"

Harry recognized the voice without having to turn around and he smiled to himself.

Harry: "hey z"

Zayn: "mind if I sit?"

Harry moved over so Zayn had room on the cement stairs they were sitting on and Zayn took that as the only invitation he needed.

Zayn: "you okay? you seemed a little upset out there?"

Harry: "clearly I don't have any interest in Taylor anymore, or at all. It's just too much to keep putting on this charade but there's nothing I can do about it"

Zayn: "I feel the same way with Perrie, this is escalating into something more than it needs to be. There's been speculation that her managers want me to propose"

Harry's eyes shot to Zayns

Harry: "fuck no"

Zayn: "I don't wanna go through with it Harry, of course I don't, but like you said...there isn't much i can do"

Harry sighed and buried his face in his hands, taking a deep breath.

Harry: "I feel like we're lying"

Zayn: "to who?"

Harry: "our fans...our families...ourselves"

Zayn: "what do you mean ourselves?"

Harry: "I've been trying to convince myself for 2 fucking years that I have feelings for Tay, and I don't. I can't keep making myself believe that something will blossom when there's nobody I wanna be with except for...you know what...it's whatever...I gotta do what I gotta do, you're right."

Harry stood up, immediately having a change in mood and walked back into the building without further explanation.

Zayn knew Harry felt like he was opening up too much, but the last thing he wanted was for him to be afraid.

They've talked about their friendship, and how it felt different than with the other boys, but it hadn't escalated into anything too risky just yet.