Part 4: A Shame D

Date: January 16, 2020 

"One coronavirus case has been reported in Tokyo," the newscaster said.

"One coronavirus case has been reported in Tokyo," the newspaper's headline stated.

"One coronavirus case has been reported in Tokyo"

That's all Hinata read and heard before going to school. 

"Fuck, nationals is for sure canceled," he thought to himself.

Before leaving, Hinata's mom spoke, "Hinata! Please wear a face mask today." Hinata politely refused, telling her that it would be fine since they lived far from Tokyo. Hinata's mom didn't want to force him since he respected his son's choices. "Please stay safe today," she said. 

"I will, I promise, Mom."

_________________________

Hinata went to school and heard everyone talking about the virus. He heard people whispering about why he didn't wear a mask. The real reason why he refused to wear a mask is that he wanted to prove that Covid-19 wasn't that serious. He wanted to prove that nationals didn't have to be canceled due to the virus. Hinata saw Sugawara entering the school.

"Sugawara-san!!" Hinata yelled.

"Hinata!"

"Wait! Why aren't you wearing your mask?" the gray-haired boy asked.

"It's okay! It's not like there's someone with Coronavirus in Miyagi," Hinata replied.

"Still. You need to take extra precautions." 

Hinata stubbornly shrugged off his words and went inside the school towards the gym. He noticed that almost everyone was wearing a mask. He kind of felt embarrassed. 

"But still, the nationals shouldn't be canceled over some petty reason," he said under his breathe. 

Hinata entered the gym as he saw everyone talking. Just talking. He didn't see any volleyballs. He didn't see the volleyball net. He didn't see anyone wearing their shoes nor their uniform.

"Oh, Hinata!" Daichi exclaimed.

"Sorry, but volleyball practice is canceled today." 

"What?! Why?" Hinata barked.

"Dumbass. didn't you see the news today?" Kageyama said, clearly annoyed. 

"Yeah, but-"

"Stop complaining, dumbass. You should just be thankful that it's not in Miyagi."

"What about the nationals? Is it still canceled o-" 

"Yes, it is canceled, Hinata," Daichi replied. 

"Arghh! Why does it have to be canceled?! We worked so hard for it! Plus this is your last year playing volleyball, Daichi-san! It's so unfair!"

As Hinata continued babbling about his complaints, Ennoshita decided to speak up. 

"Hinata, this is hard for all of us. Please understand that you're not the only one who feels like this. Like what you said, this is extremely hard for the first years too." 

Hinata remained silent. He didn't realize that his teammates were also suffering since they didn't complain about it.

"I'm sorry," Hinata murmured. 

"It's okay, Hinata, we forgive you," Sugawara said. 

------------------------------------------

The day went by as Hinata thought about nationals and how unfair it is to be canceled. His teacher was suddenly excused out of the classroom by the vice-principal. 

"Students! Listen up"

"Someone from the Miyagi prefecture caught the Corona-virus." 

"To take extra precautions, classes tomorrow will be canceled."

Hinata grabbed his phone and opened up Twitter. She was right. Each tweet he read was about how the virus reached Miyagi. 

"Well, at least there are no classes tomorrow," Hinata thought to himself, trying to cheer himself up.