Chapter 4 (Angel)

"So. Who was the girl who had your phone?" Ronan asks me as he picks up the water hose to fill the pool.

"I just met her at work. She was a customer and I bumped into her. End of story." I say. Ronan scoffs.

"You have her number? " he asks nonchalantly.

"Yeah. Why?"

"We're having a pool party/ cook out for Lena's birthday this weekend. Why don't you invite her?" He says.

"I met her like twice. You want me to invite her?"

"Yes."

"Do I get a say in the matter at all?"

"No. Now shoot her a text invite." Ronan grins.

"Fine."

"Didn't put up much of a fight there, Ange." I send him a single fingered salute. I pull out my phone.

Angel: Hey, Em. My brother wants me to invite you to our cook out this weekend. It's sorta a birthday cook out for our little sister.

Em: How many people will be there?

Angel: Just me, my brother, and my sister. Her actual party is going to be at my job Sunday afternoon. The cookout is on Saturday. You can bring someone if you wish, I guess. I know its weird but my brother insisted.

A long pause.

Em: Okay. I'll come.

I found myself grinning. She was coming. Why was I so excited about that? I barely knew her if at all.

"Okay I'm off to work." I call to Ronan.

"Don't forget to confirm the party with Mr. Haynes!" He calls back. I nod and get into my car. My phone chimes again.

The-A-Hole: We're almost out of beer. Pick some up or I'll beat the shit out of you. Why did you let it get this low? You're spending too much time with that poor ass excuse for a brother. Worthless piece of shit that he is.

I groan and reply with my confirmation. I hated him so much.

When I got to work I sigh as I see all the teenagers. They were the worst at tipping and the rudest. I head to clock in and get things started up.

The first few tables were okay. They were actually fairly well-behaved. That didn't last. One of the teenager tables was full of jerks. I heard them insulting me while I talked to other customers and they were extremely rude while I took their orders.

But the worst part was when I was carrying food past them to another table. They tripped me and I fell into the tray I had been carrying. They laughed at me. I wanted to snap at them, but I kept my mouth shut. I hated teenagers like that.

"I'm sorry but I am going to have to ask you to leave now." I hear a voice from behind me. I look over my shoulder to see my boss, Mr. Haynes. He was frowning at the teens.

"What? This is a public restaurant. You can't do that!" The boy who tripped me said. Mr. Haynes scoffed.

"It's my restaurant and it's only public to people who act civilized while in it. Get out before I call an officer down here to make you leave." He crossed his arms. I looked back down at the tray and continued to clean up the dropped food.

"That's bullshit man." The group mumbled as they got up to leave.

"Don't come back either." Mr. Haynes said before he turned to me. "Finish cleaning that up and come see me in my office. Have Charlie take over your section." He turned and walked away before I could reply. Looks like I was in deep trouble. I'll probably be fired. Great.

When I walked into the office Mr. Haynes was sitting on the front edge of his desk. "Angel. Sit down, please." I nod and do as said.

"I didn't mean to ruin the customers' food. I should have watched where I was going better. I'm sorry."

"Angel, you're not at fault nor are you in trouble. I called you in here because I think you would be great for the promotion I have here." He smiles a little.

"Promotion?" I ask. No way.

"Yeah. I think you would be great at it. Assistant manager. What do you say?" He smiles bigger.

"Absolutely. Yes."

"Good. You start when you come back Sunday morning."

"Thank you, Sir." I smile back. "For everything actually."

"Angel, before your mother died I promised her I'd do everything I could to help you and your siblings. She was very close to me. I don't need to be thanked for something I more than happily promised your mother. I would help you even if I didn't promise. You're a good kid." He said a little sadly at the mention of my mother.

"You never told me...how did you know my mother?" I ask, a little curious. He snorted.

"Let's just say she was my best friend." He sighed. I nod.

"I need to go finish my tables." I say and he dismisses me. I sent Ronan news of my promotion.

Ronan: That's great, Ange!

When I got home that night I was smiling. I would be a manager. How great was that? My smile drops when I see my dad standing in front of the living room.

"Where's my beer?" He snaps. Crap.

"I forgot it. I got distract because I was given a..." I was interrupted by his fist in my face.

"You worthless piece of shit can't even remember beer?" He punches me in the stomach so hard I had to double over. Big mistake. He knees me hard in the head and I fall down completely.

"I'm sorry! I'll go get some!" I say desperately, covering my face with my arm. He was about to hit me again when a knock came at the door. He cursed and went to answer it. I ran out the back door, heading for Ronan's house. My head hurt like hell and my stomach ached. Still it wasn't the worst he could have done. There was plenty more he could have done.

Ronan was pissed when he answered the door for me.

"I'm going to the kill the bastard. I'll kill him! This has gone way too far!" He shouts.

"We can't call the police because they're friends with him. If we call CPS they will take us away and we'll get separated. Lena couldn't handle that, Ronan. I couldn't either." I say desperately. Ronan growls.

"Damn asshat. I could try to get custody. I'm legally able to now." He tries.

"You could, but what good would it do? He's got the police under his thumb and most likely the judges too. How, I'm not sure."

Ronan shouts a few more profanities.

"We're stuck."

"Unfortunately."

"I still hate him."

"Who doesn't?"

"A surprising amount." He says and sighs. "Get some sleep."

"Thanks Rone. See you in the morning."

"I'll be pulling the burgers and hot dogs out early to thaw tomorrow. I need you to go with me to the store for some other stuff for the parties."

"Okay."

"Cheer up. You'll get to see your girlfriend again."

"Shut up." I grin. That was something to be happy about.