Chapter 15 - A New Life Lay Ahead

Veracruz, New Spain – 1770

"I have bought us passage on the Maria Terese," Sebastaio said, entering the room. The inn only had the one room, and so they had said they were married, and Sebastaio had booked them onto the ship as Senhor and Senhora Mendes. He would have preferred to actually marry Clara before they departed, but now they needed to keep up the deception. "She sets sail on the morning tide, we can board tonight. I had enough money for a cabin, so we will be guests of the Captain."

Clara looked relieved both to see him and to find they didn't need to stay in the inn another night. He quite understood, the bed was overstuffed and smelt of mould, sweat and other undefinable scents. They had laid their blankets over the bed and even then, it had been a restless night. Clara stood up and prepared her belongings to depart. She found the port an offensive place, too many people, too many strong smells and an air of danger, both of physical harm and threat of disease, for her sensitivities. She did not appreciate the looks from the men and the women she saw were of the more unsavoury kind, and he was constantly concerned for her welfare. The sooner they were on the ship the better. It looked to be a good vessel and he hoped the cabin was better than this hovel.

She asked if they could do some shopping before they reached the ship. She needed a few things before the trip, and they found what they needed with little trouble. They arrived at the gangway and were greeted by the First Officer who took them to their cabin. It was small but made of good wood, polished to a shine, and the bed was clean and made up with fresh linens and blankets. They were advised that they would dine with the Captain and officers, and were required to dress for dinner. Clara sat on the large bed and sighed. It was comfortable and clean and she was exhausted. Dinner was a few hours away and meantime the ship's crew was busy with loading and preparing the ship for departure. Sebastaio mentioned to her that he wished to look over the vessel and so she lay on the bed and closed her eyes, and was asleep within seconds. 

***

 He covered her with a light blanket and then left the cabin. A boy stood outside.

"What is your name boy?" Sebastaio asked him.

"Jalid, Senhor," the dark skinned boy said with a smile, puffing out his chest.

"Jalid, can you watch the door and keep the Senhora safe?"

"Aye Senhor, I can do that for you, you can rely on me."

Sebastaio pressed a gold coin into his palm. "This should pay for you to give her such support until we reach Portugal.

"I would be honoured Senhor," the boy said with a serious expression and a short bow.

Sebastaio walked around the ship, dodging crew members and dock workers loading and unloading. He found a quiet space, looking out on the city and the dock itself.

"I trust your accommodations are acceptable?" came a voice at his elbow. He turned to see a thin man with a carefully combed and clubbed wig in a well cut jacket, over a shirt trimmed in an excess of lace, and beautifully made leather boots. He looked at Sebastaio with a considering glance, flicking up and down and taking in every inch of him. Sebastaio looked away, making sure the man realised he was not interested in whatever was being offered.

"Yes, thank you, my wife is very happy with the cabin, she is resting now, before tonight's dinner with the captain. Are you one of the crew?"

"I am Jean-Luc Baudelaire, the ship's surgeon," he gave a courtly bow, with a wave of his arms and his foot pointed forward. He was a fop, possibly one who hung about the edges of the French court, he had heard of such men, although what he was doing on a ship in the Gulf of Mexico was an interesting question. His oiliness rubbed Sebastaio up the wrong way. He didn't often take an instant dislike to someone, but he did so with this man.