01 | AUCTION

auction /'ôkSH(ə)n/
n.
a public sale in which goods or property are sold to the highest bidder.

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

Pulling into the lot of a large casino, I called Luca to let him know I was here. Tonight would be a big night for him, my client, and myself, of course.

I stepped out of my car and made my way for the entrance, keeping my hands deep in my pockets. The only thing on my mind at the moment was the grimy area that surrounded me. Normally I wouldn't part-take in the dark side of the business, I had men who would do that for me. But I had to show up as myself tonight, or I wouldn't get the deal. So my awareness was at its highest as I prepared myself for any potential threat. Just as I was about to walk inside, I felt a hand tug on my arm. Quickly, I turned on both my heels and my hands flew out of the material, lining up to punch the coglione who grabbed me.

"Calm down, Rosario. It's just me," Luca laughed, throwing his hands up in the air in submission.

I gave him a tight lipped smile and looked to the side. "I have the most prominent reflexives in the business for a reason. I would think again before grabbing me like I'm some cane."

"You got it brochio." He continued laughing before saying, "I was only trying to get you in an easier way, seeing that this is my place."

"Lead the way then," I told him.

Sitting in the farthest row from the stage, I waited for the item I'd been promised on winning. A red diamond. They're the rarest diamonds in the world and only found in Africa, Australia, and Brazil. When I heard that my buddy had one going for sale at the auction tonight, I had to get here and jump on the opportunity. And of course I had my men call and set up a deal with him. I would pay 2.4 billion dollars for a 254mm red diamond and he would guarantee that I got it in my hands by the end of the night.

So I waited patiently for my prize, watching each item being sold and carted off the stage. I wasn't the one who wanted the diamond though, I could care less about a fucking rock, but I knew one of my customers were into diamonds. And this was a diamond you couldn't say no to. I planned to profit off of it, making him buy it for 3 billion more dollars than I spent because I knew exactly how rare these fuckers were. A diamond collector like himself just couldn't simply turn a blind eye to it.

As the night grew and the items became less entertaining, people started to leave. This was the biggest part of the plan to make sure no one would overbid me. If there were no people left, I would be the only one to bid for the diamond. But the next item came on stage and it caught the eyes of everyone in the building. And as the cloth was removed from it, I realized it was a fucking person.

A girl shook in the middle of the stage as the eyes around the room devoured her. Her own were filled with tears, the water brimming her eyes as they begged to spill and flow down her soft cheeks. I balled my hand into a fist as I watched the men in the room step closer. This wasn't supposed to happen. I had to be the only one left in the room to win this rock. But that wasn't necessarily the thing that angered me most.

A familiar anger rose in my chest as I watched this poor girl break on the stage. Her entire body shook as she heard the numbers rise higher and higher. Her life being stripped away from her without any say in the world. I was pissed because human trafficking was the one thing I swore to never bring into my business. The act is blatantly disgusting. I also never let myself associate with monsters who sold human lives for fucking money. Not after what happened to my little sister.

The blood in my veins boiled and I heard a man yell out, "1 billion dollars."

Her beautiful, full lips started to tremble as she was faced with the most horrifying experience anyone could go through. And for a second, I saw my sister on that stage. I saw her face smeared with tears and fear. Her tiny body falling to the floor as they hit the gavel on the wooden stand. Men walking onto the stage and picking her lifeless body off the floor and giving it to the rightful person who would take her home and do far more cruel things I've ever done in my life.

I blinked and the image was gone. But one thing remained. The hurt and pain I felt for my sister. For this girl. The announcer began to speak, counting up from 1, looking around the room to see if there were any competitors. When she reached number two, I decided in that moment to throw away the deal for the rock and help this girl. I didn't know why I did it, but I knew that if it was my sister, I would want someone to save her too. And who knows? She may become of great use to me. But I wouldn't treat her like an asshole.

"Two billion dollars," I said.

A voice came through the microbud in my ear. "Boss, what are you doing? I thought you wanted the diamond."

"The stupid fucking rock can wait. Tell Luca to take it out of the auction for tonight. I'll just make a deal with him for it later."

"Are you sure, boss."

"Did I fucking stutter, Ricco."

The sound cut out and I payed my attention back to the stage.

"Sold to the man in the back," the woman said, pointing at me, smiling, acting like selling a person went unnoticed because it was an everyday occurrence.

The small girl on the stage was scared. So scared. Her eyes widened and the tears finally dropped from her beautiful eyes. Struggling to pull her arms out of their confinements, she broke and broke.

She didn't know it yet, but I'd be the savior my sister never had.

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

THANK YOU
SO MUCH
FOR READING
<3

Please do let me know if there are any mistakes and if you've enjoyed the first chapter! Also let me know if you guys like longer or shorter chapters. I am open to both but I would love to hear your opinion.

Word Count: 1136