02 | KIDNAPPED

kidnap /ˈkidˌnap/
v.
take (someone) away illegally by force, typically to obtain a ransom.

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

"Girl your shift is over. Go home."

"I can't Jayda, I really need to work the extra time," I told her, wiping the counters of the bar down and drying them.

"I'm tired of seeing you work so much. You need rest Evelina," she growled, snatching the towel out of my hand.

"You just don't understand," I started. "You don't have to worry about when the electricity will be out or when your next meal is. But I do. That's why I do this. So please don't tell me what I should be doing."

"You know I just want to see you happy and healthy. And you not healthy baby," she said softly, her voice sounding like warm honey, comforting me as her hands gripped my shoulders so that I could face her.

"I know." My body slumped from tiredness and my limbs ached.

She was right, I did work too much. But I couldn't afford to rest. Not if I wanted the bills for the house to be overdue and loose more than I could even own. I had to work hard and sacrifice things in order to survive.

"Come here," she gushed, curling her fingers around my shoulders and bringing me in for a hug. "I care about you too damn much to see you fall, love. You don't do nothing but clean and serve and work. Go home and I'll work your shift. Carlos won't even know you not here, okay?"

I took a deep breath and decided to do something for myself for once. "Okay."

"Good. Take care of your self this weekend babe. I love you. Be safe," she said as I walked out from behind the bar.

I turned around and gave her a grateful smile. "I love you too, and I will."

Grabbing my stuff from the back room, I walked outside and headed home. I let the rain pour down my face in attempt to cleanse my mind. But it never happened. Every time, my mind went to my little brother.

Two months ago he died from a drive by shooting. I wasn't sure how he was put in that situation, but he was with my dad. They said they were going out with friends to a club or something. And after the incident, I never saw them again.

My mom and I never knew what exactly happened or if it was intentional. All we knew was that my brother's body was found in the car with 13 bullet wounds in his stomach and chest. But my dad was no where to be found. And he still is gone. Either hiding from me and my mom, or hiding from something more dangerous.

As I continued walking down the street, not paying attention to the scenery in front of me, or around me, two hands grabbed both my arms and another pair of hands grabbed my legs. I tried screaming and kicking as they lifted me off the ground with ease. All the sudden something hard hit me in the face and all I saw was black.

Then light.

Light so bright that my eyes scrunched as it casted down on my face from above me when the black cloth was ripped off of me. And then I was enlightened on the purpose for why they kidnapped me.

In front of me was a large open space with rows of seats and tables on the side next to it. All eyes were on me but mine weren't on anything in particular. I saw nothing. But I heard everything. I felt everything. And my mind replaced the holes in my vision with deathly images of the future. I was going to be sold. Sold for someone to use, and hurt and break, and then throw away.

This happened in my life all the time already so I didn't understand why I was so scared. But I could control what normally would happen to me. People would take advantage of me because I desperately wanted friends and wanted to please them. But when I knew they were using me, I could push them out of my life.

Not with whoever was going to buy me. They would own me. By money, by power, and by their hand. And at the thought my eyes welt up with tears. I worked so hard in life to survive, what was I doing wrong? I did everything so that I could have a roof to live and eat under. Why did I deserve this?

Even though I felt like letting the dams drop, I wouldn't. I knew I still had to be strong. There had to be a way out of this. I couldn't give up even though that seemed like the only thing to do right now.

The numbers went higher and higher as my time of freedom went lower and lower. It made me think about how much I was worth. How much these people thought I was worth based on my looks and what I could do for them. The thought haunted my mind as I tried to calm myself. But how could I calm myself when there were over 200 hundred people watching me and staring at every single inch of me. I wanted to pull myself into a ball because of how exposed I felt.

I was taken out of my thoughts when a man in the back, hidden by the dark shadows of the room, spoke clearly and demandingly. "Two billion dollars."

My eyes shot over to where he was seated. Alone and angry. Even though it was hard to see, I could still make out his furrowed eyebrows and clenched fists. It scared me. Especially when no one bid higher than him. I was going to be stuck with a crazy angry man that would use and abuse me until he got what he wanted. And when the gavel hit the stand, my tears finally dropped.

"Sold to the man in the back."

I was just an item. Just a thing at that point. Just existing for someone else's benefit. But wasn't that what I always was?

༶•┈┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈♛♛┈⛧┈┈•༶

THANK YOU
SO MUCH
FOR READING
<3

I was debating on making this a double chapter scene because I didn't want you to have to reread the same damn thing, but I decided on it because I want you to get to know Evelina better and her story. More about her life will come out in the future chapters but I wanted to give you guys a little but of a hint. Also, I don't think I'll be doing this same kind of thing again because I know it can get quite annoying to have to read the same scene just from another character's point of view, but in this case I thought it was important to the story. Anyways, please let me know if there are any mistakes and if you enjoyed this chapter!

Word Count: 1180