Chapter 58: Calm down

In the car leaving Sichuan, I gradually calmed down and began to analyze the situation.

Xiao Hua wasn't wrong. I was going to Guangxi now and I was alone. Even if Granny Huo's men dared to let me go in and die, I had little chance of rescuing them.

Their team—including Fatty and Poker-face—was full of experts, so if they were trapped, how could someone with my ability rescue them? But I had to get a group of people at least equal to them in skill if I wanted to save them. This kind of person couldn't be found in a short amount of time.

The news that Granny Huo had an accident was enough for us to mobilize the Huo family, but things in this business were often different below the surface. There had to be conflicts of interest within the Huo family, and this was the perfect opportunity for those people to take advantage of. It was hard to say what they would do first, but the situation would be even more complicated if the news was made public. Not only would no one sincerely support the rescue effort, but some people might even obstruct it.

As a result, Xiao Hua's plan was to suppress it first. It needed to be done in a roundabout way, but it was just like he said. I was merely an ordinary person without Fatty and Poker-face around me, and this matter was beyond my scope. In fact, if I thought about it carefully, it was really the case.

When I was thinking about my plan in the car, I found that I had no clue. In the past, I would immediately think of Fatty, but now I searched through all the contacts in my phone and found that there was no one who had anything to do with this matter except for Pan Zi.

And Pan Zi, who retired to the countryside... should I bother him?

But I really couldn't wait any longer. I had experienced those dangerous situations before and knew how important time was. I could understand the Xie family's cautious nature, but Old Dog Wu's loyalty and open-mindedness were also flowing in my veins. I made up my mind. This time, I was really throwing caution to the wind.

In order to save time, I phoned Pan Zi before flying to Changsha.

Pan Zi sounded a little surprised on the phone. I told him about my situation and said that I needed to get together a team and hoped he could help me.

I thought he would agree immediately, but he hesitated for a moment before saying to me, "Ok. When you come, I'll meet you at the airport."

I had a strange feeling in my heart. Something wasn't quite right and I wondered if there were any changes on his side.

I felt uneasy the entire way back as I thought of how his voice had sounded. It didn't seem like his usual tone, and I couldn't help but wonder if something had happened in his life.

When I got to Changsha and left the airport, I saw Pan Zi standing by the car. I was shocked when I saw him. I could hardly recognize him at all.

The soldier of fortune had white hair and looked several years older than before. Although his back was still strong, that first glance was really jarring.

I looked at him and couldn't think of anything to say. "Little Master Three, you look good." He gave a reluctant smile, took my bag, and put it in the trunk of the car.

I got in the passenger seat and found that it was a used car that was much worse than the one he used to drive. Although Pan Zi had always dressed in a rustic way, after seeing him this time, I felt that his vitality was gone. He was no longer the Pan Zi I saw before, the man who could stand up after having several holes pierced through his body.

As the car struggled out of the airport, I asked him, "Where's the original car?"

"Sold. I borrowed this car from my friend." Pan Zi said. "The car was originally given to me by Master Three. He didn't come back, so the goods in the shop were all snatched and sold by the people below. All the local rats came to demand repayment of their debts. I sold them and paid off some debts. I can't let those villains speak ill of Master Three."