Thirty-One

His arms were still around me when I awoke, and I could feel his hot breath on my neck. The soft thud-thud of his beating heart was felt by my back. I felt safe.

I closed my eyes again and drifted back into a secure and comfortable sleep, one I had missed.

I stirred much later, alone on a big bed beneath thick blankets and light Egyptian cotton sheets. The shower was running, the door closed and mist escaping from under it. In another life and different circumstance, I'd have joined him in the shower.

No, I told myself. Not now. Not yet.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," he greeted with a cheery look on his face.

"It's midday and Gi expected us down for breakfast ages ago. She was worried when we didn't show, afraid that I'd made you bedridden after a night of heated passion," he laughed. "I, of course, couldn't argue with that theory so I let her believe whatever she wanted to."

"Of course," I repeated with a nod.

"So you better get out of bed before I actually give you reason to stay in it." That smirk might as well steal my heart.

Before joining Eoin for our late brunch, I answered the few texts I had from Rae and Tyler then I called to check on Min.

She sounded very happy, so much so that it deserved a logical explanation. "He's coming down this weekend, Zo. I'm going to see him, finally."

I knew exactly who she meant; I was excited and nervous for her, praying silently that he'd be at least happy about the news he'd receive. I'd wanted to be there for her but she'd manage. My badass girlfriend had it down.

Brunch was an assortment of deli sandwiches Kian picked up for us before running the last errands for the party. Not wanting us to be in the way of all the final prep, Eoin offered to show me around the town.

The sun was out, bringing with it a cold chill that required hot beverages, layered clothes and good vibrations. He took me to a groovy coffee shop owned by an acquaintance of his, and he managed to get the owner to allow us to sample all their different drinks.

Emilié, an Ethiopian native, was very fond of Eoin, allowing him to man the service counter and show off his mad skills.

"The kid was my prodigy," Emilié dragged in a heavy Scot accent with a hint of his Arabic dialect. "The student has become the master."

Eoin tended for a few customers, waiting on them until the completion of their small meals and collecting any form of tip he could, which I found odd considering he didn't work there.

Emilié told me of the young, fresh out of high school lad Eoin in need of an easy job so as not to expunge from his uncle, Gaia's dad. He also wanted to save enough money to backpack across the world. "He would go off to Italy then France because his true calling was being a trained world class chef, not a simple barrister slash chippy guy."

Emilié pointed to different photographs hung in the establishment. "My boy's a jack of all trades," he added. "He mailed me one each month for the two years he was off and I've been collecting ever since. That boy right there," gesturing at Eoin, "is my firstborn son and I'm proud of him. I'm glad he's found an equally lovely young lady, Zoe. Take care of him, will you?"

Eoin looked up in our direction with perfect timing and I waved at him with a smile, giving Emilié my word. "Thank you for taking care for him in the meantime. He's an amazing guy."

"He most certainly is."

Gaia requested we bring her back a latte before slinking into her party gown, a delicate strapless dress with a beaded decolletage and a hem adorned by feathers. Her light pink lipstick added a pop of colour, her hair secured in a loose mermaid style braid.

Kian opted for a simple black tux with a bowtie and beige suede boots. Eoin wore an olive tinted suit with a skinny black tie and his hair around his face. He looked uncharacteristically handsome standing next to a worthy opponent Kian, the most handsome twosome I ever saw.

Eoin sat on the edge of our bed, waiting in a patient quiet for me to emerge from behind the bathroom.

In a bid to fit in, I made sure I dragged my friends along to buy the best dress specifically for this night. We decided on a pale pink number with exquisite lace panels on either side of and down the back of the dress.

I had my hair in a sleek ponytail and minimal make-up of orange-tinted lip gloss and one coat of mascara.

I slowly opened the bathroom door and stepped in front of Eoin, smoothing the light silk material.

He stood up immediately, and from the tip of my toes to the top of my head, his eyes travelled up my body, taking a mental picture of the vision in his sights. They rested on my face, my eyes aimed straight down. I stood anxious, afraid of what he'd say about the way I looked.

"You look gorgeous," he whispered, taking a few steps forward. "I hope you know that I mean it and you believe it."

He went behind me and pulled out an antique style pearl necklace from his breast pocket, clasping it around my bare neck. "This belongs to Gaia. It belonged to Gaia's mother and she'd love you to wear it. " He rested his chin on my shoulder and stared at our reflection in the mirror. Together, we were magnetic. We were beautiful.

Taking my hand into his, we descended the ornate staircase to the private party of 100, consisting of the Macken family, family friends and sponsors of the host couple.

He showed me off on his arm to the people in attendance taking in the sight of us. His parade was accompanied by murmurs and excited chatter of the nature of our relationship and my elusive identity.

Gaia and Kian were making their rounds and playing the perfect hosts to all their guests. They thanked everyone for their support and plentiful donations, making sure that we were all having a fun time and intermingling.

A Bob Dylan-esque British band played soothing indie music in the background, providing a relaxed ambiance.

I recognised a few faces in the crowd, greeting those familiar to me and waiting to be introduced to those I didn't know. Eoin's family was lovely and they were all very kind, complimenting my dress and making polite chatter.

They all echoed how he was an amazing man who deserved the same in a partner, someone who also wouldn't be intimidated by his creativity.

Eventually, I found my way to Mr. and Mrs. Thayer Macken, Eoin's amazing parents. "Finally we meet the only girl Eoin deemed important to introduce us to. Zoe, you must be some kind of special, my dear," his mom smiled.

She hardly looked a day after 50, her hair having retained its golden brown hue. She was an exact replica of Imogen, down to her strict vegan status. Her beauty was regal and there was a sophisticated grace to it, intimidating to some but awe-inspiring to many.

"He's stingy, my Eoin. He doesn't like sharing unless he believes it's worthy of human consumption."

"Mother, why would I share Zoe?" he asked, pulling me closer into his waist.

His hand had been adhered to the small of my back for the entire evening, claiming me as his and his only. He kissed my forehead as I smiled at his mother.

"It's nice to finally meet you."

"Likewise, Zoe. And just between us, he mentions you in every conversation we have with him," Thayer Macken answered.

His white hair was a stark contrast to his light, bright blue gems. His handsome still rivalled that of his son; if Eoin aged like his father, the world would be a better place.

"He does?" I looked up into Eoin's eyes and placed my hand on his chest, stroking it subtly. "You do, hun?"

He gazed into my eyes and I lost myself in the glassy blue of his. They spoke volumes about what he felt for me, the tension and unexplored feelings causing some friction between us.

And the way he held me, God the way he held me, an authoritative yet affectionate grip on me. Yes, please.